20.grounded

Michael and Carver were brought into counseling, and given on-school probation. At least that’s what Calum tells Luke two minutes into Luke ordering. They’re over at a new café (it was named along the lines of Cold Bear Coffee, or Chilly Coffee something or another Luke didn’t really look at the sign) and Calum decides to drop the story of Carver and Michael. Luke tries his best to play it off as no big deal, when really he’s teeming with questions that he knows Calum won’t be able to answer – instead he tries to continue his order while the girl at the front stares unabashedly at him.

“Wish you’d been there when Carver had to make a speech to the footie team about his absence – it was a hell of a lot funnier in person than if I told you now.” Calum pipes up. He’s holding the cup of hot chocolate between his hands as if it could sprout wings and take off at any moment.

“Yeah well we can’t all have what we wish for Cal.” Luke replies.

Calum doesn’t do much else but shrug and take a sip of the drink. Luke’s about to drink from his own when Calum nearly punches him in the face because he’d burned his tongue. Luke tries his best to keep a straight face. “Why don’t they warn you about how hot these are? I could have died! Then you would have missed me, and nope.” Calum waves a hand frantically above his head.

“Calum.”

“What?”

“Chill.” Luke smirks, “get it because you burned your tongue and this café is themed like you know like wintery and–okay I’ll stop.”

“Dude you sound like Aries right now. You two are seriously like mirroring each other it’s creepy.” Calum adds as he’s sitting down, making sure to prop his feet atop one of the empty seats. “Speaking of, where is Ashton and Aries? Said they’d be here when we were.”

Aries had called Luke letting him know her and Ashton were arriving a few minutes later than planned because Ashton had taken his siblings out to a movie. Luke’s realizing now how he’d forgotten to tell Calum that. He doesn’t answer instead opting for shrugging, serves him right after all. Calum’s been a pain in the ass all morning.

“So Aries and you are cool again then?” Calum asks, he’s casually sipping away at his scalding hot chocolate (Luke figures that Calum has either burned his tongue so much he doesn’t mind, or he figured out a way around the hot). “I mean I saw you two all up close and you know.” He winks making sure to pull a disgusted face afterwards. Luke wishes he could get used to that.

He blushes of course.

“I mean, we—yeah I mean, Calum would you stop you arse.” Luke only blushes more when he sees the suggestive movements Calum is making with his hands.

 Calum smirks, and Luke knows he has a lot more coming for him than a few suggestive winks and awkward moans. “You know, I am your best friend–“

“You are?”

“Hey, best friend Cal-Pal is here for you.” Calum continues with only a minor glare in Luke’s general direction. “I know you’re growing up and you’re probably wondering ‘wow why haven’t I asked Calum about girls since he’s oh so suave with the ladies.’”

“I was.”

“I’m talking here.” He pauses, making sure he has Luke’s undivided attention. Luke really doesn’t like where this conversation is going – he briefly wonders if making a run for the door would be rude. “Anyways, as I was saying before you.” Calum shoves Luke, “Interrupted my brilliance.”

There’s a small chime of a bell that hangs over the entrance that interrupts Calum as Aries is walking in with Ashton trailing behind her. She has two hands shoved in her jacket pocket and her lips are pursed in that way she does before she says something witty or sarcastic. “Honestly Calum I’d rather take my chances with a rock than you.” She laughs making sure to mess with Calum’s hair before sitting at the chair next to Luke.