o1.abnormal

Luke stood frozen in the doorway.

He'd never been one to take the first step in anything, whether it was relationships, projects, or even something as simple as asking for directions to his first class his ninth year. But this, this was totally different, this was a party.

He let his hand linger over the brass doorknob for a few seconds contemplating whether or not he should turn on the heel of his foot and leave. Then he'd never have to face the people who had invited him to the party in the first place. He was sure he could make up a lame excuse like: his head hurt, or he had caught a nasty cold and was unable to go. 

A sigh left his lips as he pulled himself together allowing the cool metal to rest against his fingertips as he twisted it, the blaring of music intensifying the further the door swung open. He'd heard the muffled melodies as he drove up but never had he imagined it would be as loud as it was. Luke was used to music thrumming loudly in his ears, the sound of his guitar as he strummed each individual cord, the scratching of the thin steel strings against his thumb-pads.

This was a completely different sound compared to the raw acoustic he was accustomed to as he sat on his bed every friday night; A pencil stuck between his parted lips as he scribbled down nonsensical words in no particular order. He knew he'd piece them together once a rhythm formed on his tongue, the words connecting like little constellations as he poured his heart out onto a piece of crumbled paper.

Anxiousness washed over him as the smell of alcohol and cheap perfumes mingled along with various teens his age, their bodies pressed closely together. Luke tried his best to keep his attention on his shoelaces instead of making awkward eye contact with any of the numerous amounts of girls throwing their heads back with laughter and sexual desire. 

He continued his way through the crowd hoping for a familiar face to grace his presence but finding none. He was sure he'd at least catch a glimpse of Carver who was the host of the party. In the back of his mind he hoped not to run into him, but as soon as the thought entered his mind Carver rounded the corner, a grin splitting onto his face. 

"Hemmings! Glad to see you didn't chicken out mate." Carver snarkily remarked, obviously trying to get under Luke's skin.

"Yeah it's a nice house that-er, you've got here." He replied back internally wincing at the way his voice completely collapsed on him.

"Whatever Hemmings just don't screw it up." The much broader boy rolled his eyes clearly having enough of Luke's presence. 

Then he was left to himself again, feeling lost and almost unable to breathe in the suffocating atmosphere. He needed fresh air. With much more effort being put into pressing his way through the crowed hallways he finally spotted a smudged up glass sliding door leading onto a patio outside.

There weren't as many people outside as there were in, and the ones that stood around the green hedges were smoking cigarettes whilst chatting away freely. Luke wished he had the confidence to strike up a conversation with any of them, maybe it would make his night more bearable. All he could do was stand slouched against the wooden railing, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his black skinny jeans, his oceanic irises focusing on anything but the people around him.

Blue smoke clouded his vision in thin tendrils from the lit cigarette buds. Dark red lipstick pursed together in grins and slurred words passed back and forth above his head. The smell of burning candles and fine wine drifting in his senses, it was all becoming too much for Luke. He couldn't wrap his mind around what was going on.

How he'd been convinced to even attend such a party when he knew full well how hated he was by everyone there was a mystery even to himself.

Suddenly a solo cup was being poured down his Nirvana shirt with a cold sting, sending him reeling backwards and into a girl who'd been absentmindedly picking at the edges of her fraying purse. He landed into her with an oof and then his cheeks flushed as he watched the girl--her ombre tone hair pulled to the side in a braid--stumble over landing directly on top of him.