296

The sky had grown darker with the day slipping by at a fast pace. The sun was quickly dipping towards the horizon, its warm light replaced with the cool early evening air. As we descended through the thick clouds that blanketed the sky, the destroyed cliffs on which our fight took place came into view-with the dead dragon Ragon resting peacefully in the shallow lake at the cliffs base. Doron hesitated at first, likely fearing a second ambush-much like the one that brought down his sibling, and nearly brought down two others. I looked to the only trees that remaining after the last fight, and guided my dragon towards them.

"Fire."

With great pleasure, Doron spewed a stream of powerful black and scarlet flames down on the several columns of trees that remained in the area, eliminating any possible threat of an ambush from the trees. With four quick and swift passes, the remaining trees were engulfed in thick black and red flames that filled the sky with black smoke-choking the little light that remained from the sky. Now certain that there was no threat, Doron landed next to his slain brother-the water splashing into the air with his heavy and abrupt landing. I dismounted, and slowly walked up to the slain dragons still and lifeless head. His scales were still green, though the life had long since left them. Doron thrice lifted Ragon's powerless wing-as if to make him fly again. But this was little more than hopeless thought in the dragons mind.

"He's gone. You must learn to put things in the past." I said as I turned and began searching the area for any sign of Tahli's body.

The water was cool and still as I walked through it, not taking any care towards the water sloshing around my toes-nearly freezing them off. The cliffs from which Ragon had destroyed as he died were scattered around the waters, with only a small portion still standing proudly as it likely had for untold numbers of years prior. As I panned my head back and forth, searching for Tahli, I spotted a bright silver plate sitting above the water. Feeling my heart pound far faster, I got as close to a sprint as I could through the water, before coming to a stop beside the brutally mangled body of my slain friend. Tears streamed down my face as I gripped the ice cold and bloody body close to me, not caring about the fact that bloody water was soaking into the exposed sections of clothing that stuck out through the gaps in my armor. Tahli had been shot nearly a dozen of times all through out her torso, and her head had been partially cracked from her impact with the ground-though she was likely already dead by that time. 

"Doron!" I shouted through my tears.

He payed me no attention however, still enamored with his dead brother. I could not tell whether the blood that stained the crystal blue waters of the shallow lake were those of my friend, or my dragon. But I didn't care. I could feel my judgement being bent out of the realms of reality-replaced by the unchecked bloodlust and need for vengeance that I had only felt twice before. I had managed to avenge my personal losses twice in the past, and now, once again, I had a far deeper need to kill all who stood in my way. The blood of the dragon ran through my veins, though at the time, it felt much more akin to that of the black dragons flame.

End Of Book 5