Chapter Four: The Barn Incident

Start from the beginning

"Boring?"

"Yes. We're all hoping you'll replace him in our social circle, you know. Well, all the reasonable people. We all know so little about you. At least you're interesting," she continues, unaware of the growing irritation that she is causing.

Urias swaggers over, clearly having overheard the conversation.

"Oh yes, Kasper was so incredibly boring. Do replace him for us, won't you?" Urias' smug look makes the irritation begin to turn into rage.

Harriet's eyes are wide. She hadn't meant to offend, of that I'm sure, but I still can't lie to myself that her words haven't rankled.

"I will not replace my brother," I say clearly, making sure my voice carries around the barn to any eavesdroppers. "He is special. You know this. You know Kasper's place in the world."

Around me there are a few murmurs of assent. Urias begins to look less pleased with himself. Buoyed by this, I press on.

"My brother is special. He's the destined leader of us all," I say, putting my hand over my heart. A few boys looked shamefacedly at the floor. "I have no magic, my mother's lineage is the only claim I have to any prestige. I could never willingly pretend to be something I'm not. I could never pretend to be part of a mage's circle, when I am undeserving."

Deep down, I am nothing special. The only thing that sets me apart from others is my Purpose. I am a weapon to be wielded, a shield to be hidden behind, but I am expendable. The most important thing I can do is bring attention back to Kasper and away from myself.

"Then why are you here tonight?" Urias asks, sounding indifferent even as his face shows his eagerness to fight.

I pity him. It must be tough to live in his world, whatever has twisted him so young must have been painful.

"Because I was invited. Because I thought it might be time to start thinking about my role in my brother's life and gather him allies," I explain slowly.

Urias laughs.

"Why can't the lazy swine do that himself? If he's this so called 'Chosen One', who's going to 'defeat the Dark forever', shouldn't he be able to make his own friends?" Urias points out. I open my mouth to tell Urias not to be so stupid in less polite words when I pause to take in the expressions of everyone else in the room.

They are not outraged as I am. They shift uncomfortably from side to side, not meeting my eyes. This is a thought they'd all had, at one time or another, and that Urias is the first to vocalize.

"You stinking son of a-" I snapped my mouth shut, trying to keep in mind that I am here to win friends not make enemies.

All of this is Urias' fault. He probably has been poisoning the well for months knowing Kasper would soon be gone and unable to defend himself.

"Yes, well, maybe he's more charming than you, in a naïve, bumbling way I guess..." Urias concedes.

"Shut up! You don't know anything about what Kasper must go through!" I snap. Urias doesn't look concerned by my escalating temper.

"You're right. Your family has hoarded all the secrets and we're meant to just follow on faith that your brother even is the 'Chosen One'. Well sorry, you are an arrogant little prick and your brother isn't much better," Urias' eyes are lit up with malice, his cheeks tinged red with glee at finally getting to say what he wants.

My own face feels hot for a different reason. The anger is sitting in my belly now like shards of broken glass. Every time I breathe I can feel it there, beneath my skin, threatening to pierce through.

"Your brother is a baby who's been told he has this great destiny but he doesn't even try. And we only have the word of one man that it's him who is Chosen anyway," Urias says. He's holding court now and everyone is listening to him with rapt, attentive expressions.

My fingernails are digging into his palms hard enough to draw blood.

"Shut up," I warn.

Urias continues as though I haven't even spoken.

"What makes Kasper so capable? What makes him any different from any of us? Nothing! That's what! He's of average power, average intelligence, average looks even. There's nothing about him tha-"

Urias makes a grunting sound as I tackled him to the ground. For a moment, I have the advantage, able to freely rain blows down on his face. I split Urias' lip.

Good. He deserves it.

Then I'm being hauled back. Hands are on my biceps, squeezing warningly as I struggle.

They should have used magic.

I wrenched myself free easily.

I hear a screech that sounds like Harriet but I ignore it, raising my fist to drive it into Urias' face once more.

All the air disappears from my lungs.

I freeze.

In my rage I had forgotten that Urias was able to do this.

My vision begins to blur, even as I try to focus on the bloodied face before me. I can make out fearful, hate-filled eyes.

"Oh, stop! Please Urias, stop! You're going to kill him!" Harriet is screaming.

I try to gasp for air but just opening my mouth makes my lungs shriek with pain.

My vision is fading.

The sounds from the barn become distorted and dull, like I'm hearing them through water.

My sight goes entirely black. There's a dull pained thud as my knees hit the dirt floor of the barn. I'll soon be on my side, unconscious, and then I'll be dead.

I won't even get to be of use to Kasper. Won't even get to stand by his side as he defeats the Dark. I'll die in this barn, killed by Urias of all people.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE?"

A flicker of flame appears at my fingertips.