Chapter Two: Departure

Start from the beginning

"I could go to Kasper at the University instead," I suggest. "I could protect him better there-"

"No," my father says firmly. I don't understand why he won't let me go. If he's trained me all my life for this moment, what will another nine or ten months really do? What if something happens to Kasper in that time?

"Kasper will be well-protected at the University by someone Lord Ifan trusts implicitly," my father says firmly. "You would only be a distraction until your training is complete."

I wrap the soot from the fire in newspaper carefully, and deposit it into the bin.

At that moment, there is a commotion from the front of the house.

"He's here! He's here!"

My heart leaps into my throat as I glance at the clock on the mantelpiece. I want time to slow down, or even better, to stop entirely.

Kasper is my life. My only link to a world outside this cottage outside the books I've studied. I don't want him to leave.

My mother and father get to their feet. My mother reaches out to take my father's hand and he squeezes it once before dropping it.

I want to follow them, but my father gives me a look that tells me that I am better off staying put.

I sit at the dining room table and wait.

It is ten minutes before I hear the door to the Parlour open and close. Unfamiliar footsteps walk along the hallway until they reach the kitchen door and slowly open it.

Lord Ifan looks like the grandfather I've never met. He has short, cropped hair, white as snow. His beard extends all the way down his chest. Underneath bushy eyebrows, his amber eyes peek out. Even though his face is weathered by time, it is in those eyes that I see that he is still as alert as he was in his youth.

"Young Kit Derore, is it not?" he asks me.

I get to my feet and quickly bow, deep and low with my hand over my heart.

This is the Lord of Light. I have to show the utmost respect to him. There are no mages more powerful than Lord Ifan.

"Yes, my lord," I say quickly, not raising my head.

"I have not seen you since you were a child. I doubt you remember me," he says.

It's true. I don't. I know of him, from books about him, from genealogies of important families, from stories my father has told. Yet I don't remember him visiting this house before.

"No matter. Now, let me take a look at you. I am told by your father that you have been raised as your brother's protector," Lord Ifan says. He slides a hand under my chin to make me look up. I catch his eyes.

It feels like I am being stared down by a bird of prey.

"Well, you have intelligent eyes. You have practiced the sword and studied mage manners, have you not?" he asks, letting go of my face.

"Yes, my lord," I reply. "The detection of poisons, politics and military tactics as well."

"Well-rounded, for a soldier," Ifan praises me. I stand a little taller.

"I am sure you are chafing at the bit to head to the University with your brother, but waiting a little longer will be good for him. Give him time to settle down, find his feet a bit," Lord Ifan says, his voice soft. "After all, we shan't be throwing him into battle immediately upon arrival."

"I suppose not, my lord," I reply.

Lord Ifan nods to me.

"Well, we best be off. There have been Brotherhood attacks on the road in recent days, and I shouldn't want to have anything so exciting happen on your brother's first trip away from home," he says, taking a few steps back. "I suppose you will want to say goodbye?"

I nod, my throat tight.

Lord Ifan leads me through my own house back to the Parlour. I can see, through the window, that my father and Urias are throwing my brother's things onto a carriage made from laquered wood. Four strong horses are liveried to it, their nostrils flaring. My mother and Harriet watch them as they talk to the driver, a fat man dressed in grey with thin brown hair.

Kasper is still in the Parlour, putting on his cloak.

Lord Ifan waits at the door to usher me through.

Kasper looks at me for a moment, before he reaches out to pull me into a tight hug.

"It'll go by so fast. You'll barely miss me," he says fiercely.

"You know that's a lie," I reply, wrapping my arms around him just as tightly. "You have to take care of yourself at the University. Don't do anything-"

"I'll be fine, Kit," he reassures me, drawing back and ruffling my hair. "Surrounded by mages who are all sworn to defeat Daegol. Safest place in Vinculum. It'll be fine. And when you're old enough, you can come and live with me and we can start planning how to win this war together."

I glance at Lord Ifan, who seems to find the ceiling suddenly fascinating.

"I mean it, Kasper. Promise me you won't get any ideas or do anything dangerous," I whisper. "No grand adventures until I'm there."

Kasper rolls his eyes, disentangling himself from me as he does so.

"I promise. No answering the call of prophecy until my little brother is there to tag along," he says, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Carriage is loaded!"

Kasper and I startle at that. It's really time. After spending my whole life at his side, my brother is going somewhere without me.

"Shall we?" Lord Ifan asks.

Kasper nods and claps me on the shoulder.

"See you soon, Kit," he says.

He doesn't look back as he gets into the carriage. Nor as Lord Ifan pulls the door shut. Nor as the carriage pulls away with the cry of the footman.

He just leaves.