The Calm Before the Storm...

I hadn't spoken to Joe since what happened at my locker in the morning. I had agreed to go to the big game with all of them already.  I feel so embarrassed. Not only because of what happened to me in front of my new friends, but because I didn't even thank Joe for stepping in. Nobody has ever stepped in and stuck up for me before.

     The bell rang to release us from third period and that meant it was lunchtime. I went to the library to hide so I could avoid Joe. I stayed there for 15 minutes, but then I decided I needed to face him. I at least needed to thank him for being such a great friend. I left the library and entered the cafeteria through the front door and to my horror, Joe, Rami, and Lucy were all seated at mine and Joe's usual table . I took a deep breath. Then, I started marching. What was I doing trying to hide anyway? I finally found friends. I should be so lucky. I walked up to the three of them.

"Hi.." I said nervously

"Honey, are you okay?" Lucy said, standing up and embracing me. "We all wanted to check up on you but you weren't showing up. You didn't answer any earlier texts either. Everyone was worried about you."

"Especially Joe" Rami said

     Joe shot Rami a look of "hush"

"Yeah, I'm okay. I guess I just needed some time. I promise I'm alright." I told them

"Are you positive?" Joe asked, not completely convinced

"Yeah, Joe." I smiled at him. "I'm alright."

     Joe's worried grimace slowly turned upward into a big smile.

"Still, coming to the game then?" Rami asked, licking his fingers.

"Uhh...yeah I am. What is that?" I questioned, laughing.

"Ugh, it's Cheetos dust. He literally ate a whole bag before you got here. He even managed to get it in my hair too!  Lucy huffed. 

"Aaaaand it was a family size bag..." Joe chimed in, giggling. 

Lucy punched Joe in the arm. "Not funny Joe!"

     Joe shot me a look and I broke down in laughter too.

"Valentina!" Lucy pretended to be hurt. "I thought if anyone here would understand, it'd be you.!"

     The bell rang and Lucy gave me a giant hug and told me she was glad I was okay. I told her and Rami that I'd see them at the game later.

"So, I'll see ya during World History?" Joe asked smiling at me. He and I were the same height. I hadn't actually noticed this before. We were standing there, eye-level with one another.

"Yeah, definitely." I replied

     We both began to walk our separate ways until I remembered something.

"Joe!"

     He whipped his head around and walked back.

"What's up?" He asked

"Well, I...um...I just wanted to say thanks. I mean for yesterday. Thank you for...for sticking up for me." I managed to spit out.

     Joe smiled and wrapped me in a hug. He felt so warm and he smelled amazing too.

Joe let go and said "Well, I wasn't going to let those idiots make you feel awful. You don't deserve it."

"And...um...when you said I was beauti-" The bell rang. How was I late twice in one day?

"Hey, I'll catch you at our last period, okay, Valentina?" he said before running off.

     Dammit.