4 | try

Jovie paced back and forth in the room that she was put in. They had separated her and Bellamy without giving an explanation why. The longer they made her wait for an answer, the more angry she was getting. It made her feel like she was back on the Ark in solitary confinement, a place she spent one year too long in.

When the door finally opened, she didn't know whether to be annoyed or relieved that Kane was coming in.

"Where's Bellamy?" Was the first thing she asked. Kane paused, deciding how he wanted to go about this with her. She was clearly hotheaded and impulsive and didn't care much for authority. Bellamy had given him some intel, but if he wanted anything from Jovie then he had to be smart about this. He had to try to gain her trust first.

"Bellamy's fine," he assured her. "And I promise you I will take you to him, but first we need to talk." He pulled two chairs over, motioning to the one across from him for her to sit in. She just stood there with her arms crossed, refusing his request.

"I don't have anything to say to you," she said. He sighed. This may be more difficult than he originally thought.

"Jovie, I don't want to keep you locked up but I will if you don't cooperate," he told her. Jovie glared at him when he gave the subtle threat.

"It wouldn't be the first time I've been locked up... in case you forgot why I was down here in the first place," she shot back. "You remember why I was arrested, right, Kane? It's 'cause I was alive. But hell, the only reason I wasn't floated is because I was under 18."

"If I recall correctly, you were also charged with theft," he said. Jovie smiled, finally walking over to sit in the seat.

"Yeah, well, I had to do something to keep myself occupied," she commented.

"It's how you got so good at sneaking around? Spying?" He asked. "So much that these Grounders even gave you a name for it?" Jovie knew what he was doing. He was trying to play on her pride to get her to talk. She leaned forward, resting her arms on her knees as she smiled at him.

"You're good, Kane. I'll give you that," she said. "Listen, this is how it's going to go. I tell you what you need to know and you let both me and Bellamy free." Kane paused to pretend to think about her offer. He was planning on eventually letting them go anyway, so he could use this to his advantage.

"And your brother?" He asked. Jovie sat back, a frown replacing her smile.

"I don't give a shit what you do with him," she said. She was trying so hard to find it in herself to forgive him because he meant something to her, but the wound was still too raw.

"I see," he said. "Well, then, let's get back to these Grounders. Bellamy says they have axes, spears, knives, but no guns. What else do I need to know?"

"That they spend their whole life training to be warriors," she said. "That no matter how many guns you have, they will always have the upper hand at knowing the territory better than you ever will. They show no fear and will not hesitate to try to wipe us out." She paused. Now was her time to talk to him while he would actually listen. She would say what she had to because he wanted to hear it. "You let me go talk to their Commander, I can try to put an end to this. It doesn't have to be this way, Kane. We can all live in peace, if we just try."

"What makes you think they would agree to peace?" He asked. It was a valid question considering everything that happened.

"I don't know," she said honestly. "But I have to believe it can be possible." Kane sat there for a second processing her words. He realized that this girl had seen too much violence in her life and all she wanted was to fight for a better life. It was something that he could respect. She may be stubborn and relentless but it's only because she had to be. He was partly responsible considering he helped enforce the laws, but the rule against having a second child was simply to help the greater good of the Ark. He just wished he could have done more to help Jovie. It wasn't her fault she was born after all. She was stuck with this life. On Earth, she was free, but her past would always partly hold her a prisoner.