First Impressions pt. 1 (ch. 2)

I stared through the glass doors into the building, looking at the people passing by as they do their jobs, not even noticing me. I glanced down at the mess of a paper that is my resume, wiping the sweat on my palms onto my jeans, taking turns holding the paper on each hand as I do so.

I took a deep breath and forced myself to open the door, passing the security guards that weren't so discrete on hiding their stares. I made my way towards the neat white desk that had very expensive looking computers and other devices, such as iPads and other things that were probably always kept up to date.

I look around the room as I make my way to the lady sitting at the desk, admiring the interior decorating of the area. If this is what the front desk area looks like, I wonder how the rest of the building looks. Oh god, I am not the type of person that should be working here. I am definitely not that professional.

I guess there's no turning back now. At least if I don't get the job I won't have to have the 'what if' thought going through my mind for the rest of my life.

As I walk up to the desk I see a very petite girl in her early twenties with beautiful ombre hair typing away on the desktop computer. I assume she didn't notice me as I walked up, since she didn't bother to look up after 10 seconds of being right there in front of her.

As I was about to speak up, she said, "Did you need something?" in her British accent, not taking an eye off of the screen.

"Um," I said trying my hardest not to sound too nervous. "Are you guys hiring? I mean... Obviously I know there are tons of people who want to work here but," Ugh shut up Troye, stop rambling and get to the point. "How do I get a job here?" I said desperately, giving up any hope that I had to sound like I know what I'm doing.

There was a few moments of awkward silence as she finished up what she was typing, and then she finally looked up at me, giving me a polite smile.

"I'm not sure if we're in need of people at the moment, but we are always taking applications. Do you have your resume with you?" She said as she arched her eyebrows, still not letting go of her smile.

I tried not to show my disappointment in my features as I took in what she said. I stared at her for a moment as she continued to smile at me, before snapping out of my gaze and handing her my paper.

"Is there any specific job you're interested in?" She questioned as he grabbed a pen from the cup and was about to write on the paper.

"Uh, no not really. I'll do anything to be honest."

"Alright that is quite fine." She said as she wrote in the top right corner 'any position'.

She grabbed it from me and walked over to a filing cabinet opening it, and stuffing it into one of the filing folders. She walked back over to me and started talking.

"I'll let somebody know that you gave us your resume and if they're interested they will give you a call. Do you have any questions?"

I shook my head before realizing that was probably rude and isn't giving off a good first impression, so I silently mumbled 'no not at the moment' and smiled.

"Okay well my name is Zoella and if you ever have any questions don't hesitate to give me a call." She said as she handed me one of the cards that was sitting in a card holder with a bunch of other ones on her desk.

"Thank you," I said as I grabbed the card, stuffing it into my pocket. "Have a good day."

"Thank you, you too!" She beamed as we shook hands and sitting back down to continue her work.