𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖊𝖓 | 𝕰𝖉𝖎𝖙𝖊𝖉

"Wait. Your father is a vampire." All feeling in my hand faded as my grip loosened, dropping the biro. "But how is that possible?"

If I remember correctly, vampires couldn't reproduce, meaning I had my facts wrong, or I was having a sleepover with a household of vampires.

Ethan shrugged, fishing his phone from his pocket. "She'll fill you in with the details. Sex ed isn't my thing."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, not giving him the satisfaction of my annoyance.

Fiona dismissed Ethan, rubbing her palms on her silk dressing gown. "A male vampire still carries sperm and can impregnate a human woman. The woman has a shorter pregnancy than most, giving birth to a dhampir."

Searching the throw for my pen, I scribbled the word onto the page.

"Half-human, half-vampire." She knitted her brows together, watching me with interest as I jotted notes on the paper. "There was a legend about how vampires, both male and female, conceived and gave birth to their kind. I would say this is pretty rare, but it can happen."

I shook my head in disbelief from my ignorance. Vampires shouldn't reproduce or even conduct sexual activities. It was unethical and uncanny.

That's it. I'm officially mind blown.

"Trust me, when I found out my grandfather can still have kids, I wanted to vomit," Ethan said, scrolling through his phone.

Fiona coughed, averting the conversation back to the relevant topic. "Prepare your plea and make sure your story is adequate. You will go to trial tomorrow."

Ethan didn't seem fazed in the slightest as his mobile continued pinging, signalling a message.

After she said goodnight and padded up the stairs, Ethan put his mobile on the coffee table with the screen facing downwards. "I've got a plan."

I pushed the throw to the side and edged forwards, angling my body towards him.

"You can testify." He pondered, licking his bottom lip. "You were walking when he approached you, taking you by surprise. I heard a scream and went to investigate, carrying my quiver and bow."

Isn't this what happened?

It was like I was an outsider, watching the madness unfold as tonight blurred all into one.

He clicked his knuckles within his palms. "Look, nobody should be walking alone at night, and if they do, they're asking for it."

How dare he insinuate that I'm asking for a vampire chase?

A fit of helpless anger simmered in me. To Ethan, I was a naive girl, lost and waiting for him to save me. "I didn't ask for this."

"It's one of their rules that if the locals venture out at night, and an attack happens, then it's on them. I shouldn't have been out at that time, and neither should you," Ethan said.

"So, why were you out that late?"

He shrugged, jiggling his leg. His calm demeanour had changed as he appeared anxious. "Stargazing."

Bullshit.

"I'm not lying for you." I stood up and centred myself against the armrest for support. The blood rushed to my head from the sudden movement. "What will happen if they find out that you were outside past your curfew?"

"It will be hard to plea for self-defence if they knew I was outside with no apparent reason," he said.

Perching on the armrest, I drummed my fingers against the settee. "Is there a way to transport my mother into this realm?"