Chapter Fourteen

Word Count: 1783

~Rosie

I couldn't move fast enough.

Ducking, I quickly conceal myself behind the bush, praying he didn't actually see me. There's a moment of silence, as I close my eyes, waiting for him to investigate and see me. Surely then, we would have never been able to meet in the future without that moment of recognition. Everything would be ruined.

After a few moments, I risk a glance up. Everyone is gone. Time has disappeared, hopefully back inside his home, and so has Thought and the girl. I'm relieved, however, curious as to why they vanished so quickly.

I wait a while longer before I get to my feet. I'm not planning on messing around with this any longer. As much as I don't want to get back, it might be the only place for me.

Even if it kills me inside to have to face Time again.

Taking my time walking back to the cottage, I enjoy the feeling of the fresh night air brushing against me, looking into the sky that isn't polluted with light. I'm surprised how not much has changed in the Immortal world. I suppose immortals are traditional, and other than the population, they have kept things rather similar.

As I step up onto the porch, I sift through excuses for running out. In no way am I going to tell Time about how I nearly got caught by his younger self.

When I wander inside, Time is sitting exactly where he was when I left. He looks up at me as I walk in, taking a glance up and down my body before he rests his gaze on my face. He doesn't look angry, just impassive.

Honestly it might just be worse.

"I think I'm going to go to bed," I say quickly, attempting to bypass his table, but he cuts me off, getting up so quick, I don't have a change to react as he grabs my arm, pulling me against him. It takes me by such surprise, I am ceased in fright.

Time's eyes flare like fiery sparks with those golden irises, making me shiver. "I'm trying to trust you, you know. That's why I didn't come after you."

"I just needed fresh air. From you," I mutter, reminding him of what made me leave in the first place. I'm unsure of whether he is angry or not. He has a way with concealing his emotions when it bests suits him, and right now, I'm not sure how to react. Would he hurt me? I know not to put it past an Immortal.

Especially one like Time.

"I don't think you understand how imperative it is that you stay out of trouble," Time growls, eyes narrowing slightly. He has me so close against him, I can feel muscle underneath his shirt, and smell his fresh, heady scent. "That is, of course if you actual value your life, which you haven't seemed to thus far."

Attempting to pull away from him, I pull my arms back, but his grip is like a vice, not giving me a single chance. I can't help but growl at him.

"No one saw me, okay? I didn't even see anyone. So can I go to bed yet, or are you going to make me do something else I don't want to?" I snap at him. He stares down at me, still not fuming, yet clearly troubled by my retort.

"Just don't do it again," he mutters.

"You don't get to tell me what to do," I remind him. Finally, yanking away from him works, and I fall into one of the dining chairs.

Time doesn't say anymore, which I'm grateful for. Instead, he turns away from me, moving toward the dresser. I watch him carefully, trying to let myself calm down. He's pulling blankets out, laying them down on the cot that's pressed up against the wall. He moves so gracefully, I can't help but wonder how much manual work he actually has to do in his normal life.