Chapter 33: Variables

Start from the beginning

"Imperial Physician Nong?"

"Your guilty servant is here."

"These few days, father's illness had been improving, but why did he pass away so silently today?" his gentle tone seemed calm, but carried hints of an approaching storm. "I really want to hear the reasons behind this."

"The emperor's prescription was Lord Hua's formulas all along, and your servant was in charge of overseeing its decoction. Your servant left this afternoon to search for medicinal ingredients outside, and only hurried back now." His head hung as he bowed, though he shot Fang Hua a glance on the side.

What did Nongyu mean by these words?

He couldn't be trying to place the whole blame on...

I raised my head. The Fang Hua standing behind him now wore an aloof, indifferent expression. No, not indifferent, but more like he hadn't taken the matter to heart at all. His gaze swept over the assembled court ladies and eunuchs to settle on me. I gave a start, and my heart grew anxious.

This, he wasn't even aware of someone framing him! What was he doing, looking at me? Hurry up and say something, Nongyu's obviously trying to place the blame on you! My heart was restless with worry, and I grew agitated enough to stand up, only to have someone press me down by the shoulders.

"Behave yourself."

Behave, behave. I'll behave myself.

Fang Hua's expression stilled as he looked at me, as if wanting to speak. Han Zichuan beckoned with his hand, not deigning to reply to Nongyu as he muttered to himself. His cold gaze pierced through the court eunuchs as he spoke in a stern voice. "Who was the imperial physician in charge of decocting the medicine today? Bring out the boiling water."

How efficient...

The people in the court really did things quick.

Before my knees had grown sore from kneeling, an honest and tolerant looking imperial physician, along with two or three eunuchs, were captured and brought before the imperial hall. They tested the boiling water with silver needles and dabbled a bit.

The elderly imperial physician held the needle between shaking fingers as he gave an experimental whiff before his face widened in astonishment. He spoke hoarsely, the voice filled with sorrow. "Your humble servant is incompetent, please allow Your Highness to dole out punishment...the decoction from this afternoon was personally brewed by your servant, but due to my negligence, someone managed to slip in some Broiled Spirit Incense."

"Broiled Spirit Incense?" Han Zichuan's eyes swept over him.

The elderly imperial physician was too frightened to utter another word.

Nongyu sucked in a breath, pushing the man aside to block him from view as he respectfully paid obeisance to the crown prince. "To answer Your Highness, this incense is made from the fresh juices secreted by the tender stalks of three unique plants. Using it increases the potency of a drug while causing hallucinations. An ordinary person can take it without trouble, but those with serious illnesses wouldn't be able to bear it."

I've heard of this thing before...

You had to add the stalks to the decoction a few seconds after plucking the stems, and ingest the results within 16 hours. The earlier the drug was taken, the more effective it would be.

"But for the imperial palace to hide a secret store of such incense, moreover one with such strength, suggests that a master of the medical arts had the fortunate timing to pluck a few plants from outside to create the item before throwing it within the decoction. Your Highness, please investigate thoroughly." Nongyu frowned, sniffing the hand that had dipped into the drug as he continued, "Of course, we can't leave out the eunuchs or court ladies, either."