Chapter Three: Borne Back Ceaselessly into the Past

Before Caroline could ask more, there was a bright flash, and Caroline realized she was in the Council Chamber and all the Council members were staring right at her. She was in the center the room and in the middle of explaining something important—what was it?

“Ah,” Caroline said, trying to be less awkward. “This ankle device.”

After Caroline’s speech and Nightingale’s response to the Council, Caroline couldn’t have been more prouder. She remembered it was David that faced the Council back in her timeline, but now that it had been her that needed to deliver the speech. She realized how nerve wracking it was. She knew it was tough, but this...this was different. Any mistake she made would’ve cost Steel and Nightingale their future. But Nightingale was sharp and quick to respond and as brave as ever. 

When Councillor Renley said the verdict, Caroline exploded with complete joy. Both the Inamoratas and Inamoratos were to live as free individuals!

After Councillor Kirkland and Councillor Renley left, the room burst into chatter. Clarence grabbed Caroline into a big hug, and Caroline grinned at Nightingale over his broad shoulder. Then Nightingale came over and sweetly kissed Caroline on the cheek. As Nightingale left to give out more kisses, Caroline touched her face, still grinning, feeling the fading warmth of Nightingale’s affectionate display. 

Then Caroline and David hung back, watching their friends celebrate. Caroline watched David from the corner of her eyes, admiring his strength and integrity, traits she hoped to possess. 

“I’m okay with what we have,” Caroline finally confessed.

David knitted his eyebrows together, confused.

“I meant that I’ve always admired you,” Caroline explained. “But I’m happier being like this—like friends. It just feels...right.” 

David merely nodded in understanding.

At a distance, Caroline looked fondly at both her son and Nightingale chatting happily but with slow trepidation of acceptance. Caroline watched as Nightingale bantered with Steel. He laughed at something she said. It struck Caroline at how natural he was with her.  How human he was.   

“I worry about him,” David confessed. “Steel.”

“You?” Caroline sputtered. “Worried?”

David narrowed his eyes.

“I think Steel will be fine,” Caroline reassured him. “He’s a fighter.”

David blinked, surprised with her certainty, then asked, “Are you ready to go?” 

But Caroline couldn’t look away from Steel, and then Nightingale. For once in his life, he would have something real. They both would. Caroline remembered how angry Steel was when he learned the truth about himself, that he was David and Caroline’s son. Was the truth really worth the pain? Would he have been better off without her? There were so many "what ifs"...

“Yeah, one more minute,” Caroline replied, tears stinging her eyes. “Just give them another moment.” Another moment before his world crashes down again.

But Caroline knew her work was done. She needed to go back to where she started. She needed to warn Nightingale and David of the impending attack by Dr. Amone, and hopefully she won’t get turned into a human sieve this time.

She concentrated on the image of Dr. Amone’s compound. Then opened her eyes. No, she was still in the Council building with the others. That couldn’t be…the helmet was...broken. She couldn’t go back home!

Before she could think up theories, she had an unbearable pain searing into her head.

She fell back in the bright white room, and Michael had his back turned to her.