Chapter 7

Dream A Little Of Me

“Take some rest Tru. You need to sleep.” Jonathan pulled up the blanket to cover her and kissed her forehead.

“Where are you going?”

“I’ll take the couch. You sleep on the bed.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to hurt you in the middle of the night. I might move my hands and cause you pain. You have to be careful now.”

“Jon…”She stretched his name.”You won’t hurt me. You can never do that to me. You stayed by me all these days. Please stay here, by my side.”

“Tru, I don’t want to risk anything bad happening to you. You are nearing your labour day.”He tried to prove his statement.

“Nothing will happen, trust me.”Trudy assured.

Jonathan sighed and gave in. He took a place beside her on the bed.
“Happy?”

“Very much.”
                                ***
“Jon…” Trudy awoke from her sleep in the middle of the night. A sudden jolt, a pain coursed through her body and she tried to break her husband from his serene sleep.

Jonathan’s eyes shot open and he jerked awake. “God, Tru…are you okay?” His instincts took over and fear clogged his brain.

“I’m okay. I just felt a pain in my stomach and it hurt a little.”
Jonathan pushed himself up on the bed and touched her cheeks. They were burning with heat.

“Why is your so body so warm?” He questioned while checking her forehead with his palm. “I don’t know, I just feel a little lightheaded.”She muttered.

“God, do you need anything Tru? Water?” He asked, his breaths falling heavily.

“No, I’m fine. I just got a little sacred that’s all.”

Now, he shifted away facing her. “Tell me please. I won’t be able to sleep Tru. I know I shouldn’t have stayed beside you.”

“Hushh…Jon, it was not you, it was just a feeling. I don’t know…it seems so unreal that it could be a dream maybe. Let’s forget it. We can go back to sleep.”

“Are you sure you don’t need anything, darling? I’m here.” He caressed her stomach lightly with affection.

“Yes, I promise. I just feel a little cold.” She managed to force out a smile to relieve her husband who was being driven insane with worry.

Jon was always concerned and protective of her. There was not a single day in their lives together when Jon hadn’t sacrificed the best for Trudy over his own comfort. He loved her that much.

He couldn’t even bear the sight of her hurting a finger let alone survive the act of birthing a child. He was ready to trade anything just to interchange the pain Trudy had been going through and the fear at the back of his head was overpowering his weakness.

He was the toughest man at the warfront, flying fighter planes and facing the enemy but like every other human he had a weakness too. And his weakness was Trudy.

“You try to sleep Tru. And let me know about any discomfort you face.” He covered Trudy up with the blanket to drive away the cold. She closed her eyes shut, her hand holding onto his tightly.

A sign of fear, of loss and eternal pain of the heart.

Jonathan decided to stay awake the rest of the night guarding her but sleep crept up on him as it dawned, like the taste of water for a thirsty wanderer in a desert.

Da-da…” The little child uttered.
Jonathan’s ears perceived the sound only to be filled with awe and joy. “Say it again sweetheart, say Dada.”He encouraged his child who learning his first words.

“Da-da da da….”The baby boy of one tried to repeat what he was being taught. He scooped up his auburn haired boy up in his arms and said out loud, “Tru…You won’t believe what just happened.” He got out of the room to approach his wife who was in the backyard watering some plants.

“What happened?” Trudy asked seeing her husband with a big smile on his face, eyes crinkled and his dimples covering his cheeks.
“He said Dada. Tru…he called me Dada.” Trudy could see his excitement and delight in his hazel irises.

Ahh…What?” She squealed and let out her arms forward to hold their baby boy. “You love your daddy more, you little bundle of joy.” She placed a quick kiss on her boy’s chubby red cheeks, who was busy making various noises and sounds.

“Do I sense jealousy Mrs. Adams?” Jonathan mocked.

“Of course yes! It was his first word. And he called you.” She beamed under the sunlight.

“I’m a proud father. I love you both so much.” He confessed wrapping his arms around his wife from behind.