Chapter 5

Down in the memory lane Trudy replayed that day in her mind.

Trudy was elated from the revelation of the letter that she had received a week earlier. Jonathan was returning home from the army camp. Her heart was beating with joy and squeals of excitement left her mouth.

She was waiting at the railway station for the arrival of his train, sitting on one of the wooden benches. Jonathan's parents were waiting for their son much like she did for her lover.
A whistle was heard marking the arrival of the Colorado express. The passengers left the train and her eyes roamed around to find Jonathan. She glanced around to look for him amongst the busy crowd.

Then she saw him. He was walking towards them hurriedly, making his luggage seem almost difficult to carry. He had a big smile plastered on his face and he was overly excited. His first visit home from his training.
His eyes landed on Trudy before they travelled to his parents, engulfing them up in a bear hug.

"Mom, dad, I missed you both."After the parents welcomed their son back, he walked over to Trudy who had been quietly watching the happy family reunite.

"Tru, I missed you too."He declared and she embraced him wholeheartedly. He pulled back his head which had rested on the crook of her neck to softly peck her on the lips.

"Are you happy?"He asked and Trudy nodded her head, tears were filling her eyes.

"Hush...no. No crying. I'm back."He stated and wiped off one tear that slide down her cheek with his thumb. "Come let's go."

They took a carriage back to Wellesley Street, to his house. "Tru.."He called her and she faced him.
"Yes."

"I have to talk to you about something. Can we go to the garden first?" He asked hopefully. She nodded and followed him. Trudy wondered what he wanted to talk about, various ideas coming up to her mind.

"You know, when I was away from you and my family, I felt that I had left behind a piece of myself here in Littleton."He breathed. "And now that I'm home, everything feels perfect. This is all what I wanted."

"Déjà vu?"She smiled.

"A kind of it."

"But now I really know what I want and need for me. I have sorted out my priorities Tru. And I really want to preserve all those precious things I have in my life." He spoke earnestly and they stopped walking when he stood in front of her and clutched her hands. "I want you."

"You have me."

"What would you say to me if I say I want you by my side everyday?"He looked deep into her ocean blue orbs, losing and drowning himself in them. "What would you say to me if I ask you to walk every path in this life with me?"

She did not answer as Jonathan kept on asking questions that had a simple reply to it.

"I would have gotten down on one knee and begged you to make me the happiest man alive. But I don't have a ring. Neither do I have a speech written or practiced that I can say to you to woo you. I don't have the words to sweep you off your feet. But I just know that I can give you a smile which you can always wear. I love you Trudy Marie Segall."

She had tears in her eyes for the second time in that day. She gasped as he fell on both of his knees and still held her hand. "I am on my knees pleading you to say yes. I am at your mercy."He looked so frail and sweet at that moment that Trudy caressed his hair. "Marry me?"

"Y-Yes."She managed to utter. It was a light of happiness sparkling in his eyes as he stood up and kissed her softly. The world lacked such kisses.
Jonathan stood and picked up the woman he loved and twirled her around. "I love you Trudy. Love me forever please."

"I want you, adore you and love you." They leaned in until their noses brushed with one another. Their lips were close yet not touching and it felt like a burn on that tender skin. It was a slow and passionate kiss as Jonathan placed her back down on the ground but she stood up on his feet to reach him better for the kiss.

"So, you want to marry me again?"Jonathan smiled while he fiddled with her wedding band on her ring finger.

"Just relive the exact amount of happiness I felt before. I don't want anything else," Trudy confessed to him.

She was happy that Jonathan was back home. Due to the war, he had to be at the army camp most of the time. The last holiday he was given was of almost two months. "I can't afford to stay home longer than this." He had once told her.

She knew she wanted him to stay longer but was also aware of the situation in the country. Trudy never once believed that Jonathan would not return. But when he hadn't answered her letters for a long time, she felt afraid but never lost hope. Trudy taught Jonathan to be optimistic, to believe and to trust and love selflessly.

A/N: Thank you for your time my lovely readers.