chapter 19

The funeral pyre was larger than anyone had wanted. Too many good men had died, and many more were injured. Menju stood there with tears in his eyes watching the fire. On one side of him stood Tristan and Bruce. On the other stood Arjic with his good arm wrapped around Maverick. Maverick clung to Arjic's side as if he was afraid to ever let him go again.

Tristan turned to Menju then. "I think it's about time I should head back home. Now that you've the kingdom I should really go back home and rebuild mine."

"Thank you for everything you've done for all of us Tristan. You've taken us in when we needed it and you helped us out. I'm sorry that with all you've done to help us, all we did was bring death and destruction to your family." Menju replied.

"Don't blame yourself. I'm sure the king was demented enough to have found a reason and a way to do exactly what he did anyway. He was a tyrant that wanted to make sure none of his heirs took the throne. He wouldn't have let his daughter remain alive for long after he got rid of the prince."

"Still if you need anything at all, just ask. You've helped out so much, and I would be honored to help you however I can."

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Even after all this, or maybe because of all this you still are my family." Tristan said, and he gave Menju a hug.

After Tristan walked off Bruce said, "I think I better get the last of Geoff's men rounded up and head home too. There's a lot of grief that we're suffering, and bringing some of the men home may help brighten up things."

"Thank you guys for helping us out as well. You're always welcome here." Menju said.

Bruce nodded and looked at Arjic. "I'd give you a hug buddy, but it looks like you're arms are a bit full."

"I'll see you around Bruce."

"You better come visit me as soon as you all are healed enough to do so. Tessa will love to meet the guy that stole your heart, and as for you king Menju Tessa would want to have you the as well. She's never been in the presence of a king before."

Menju smiled. "Then I'd be honored to go there in time, but until my husband is better I won't be going anywhere. You and your wife are welcome to come here and visit though."

"I'll run it by her. How's your husband doing by the way?" Bruce asked.

"He's hanging in there, but that's about all I can say right now.  I sent for my friend to come help him. He's practically a miracle worker, so if anyone can save Kapa it's him."

"Well I pray for a quick recovery for King Kapa, because no offense but you don't have the slightest notion of how to be a king."

Menju nodded. "I know I don't, and I'm terrified to death that everyone's calling me king right now even."

"You'll be fine for a while I'm sure. Let me know though when you might visit." Bruce said giving Menju a hug goodbye.

......

Menju sat next to the bed Kapa laid on. For the last week Menju, Maverick, and Arjic had helped to get fluids down his throat to keep him alive. Menju looked at the bed next to Kapa, where Arjic and Maverick were fast asleep. Those two were as loath to leave his side as Menju was. Menju laced his fingers with Kapa. Menju closed his eyes for a second, when he felt a slight movement in his hand.

Menju opened his eyes and saw Kapa's eyes fluttering. He looked around and when his gaze fell on Menju he smiled and said, "darling you're alive."

"And so are you." Menju said and he kissed Kapa. Kapa put his hand behind Menju's head, and kissed him more passionately.

"Alright you two break it up. It's bad enough I have to always break up the horny one and his boyfriend, I don't want to have to always keep an eye on you as well." Menju's friend said.

"Did Menju send for you to come help me?" Kapa asked.

"He did. You see I've before been known to work miracles, and that's what he was hoping I'd do this time. The thing he didn't notice was he already had a miracle. These three friends of yours had so much willpower in them, that I don't think you could've died even if you wanted to." Kai said. He looked over to Maverick and Arjic, then to Menju,  and finally back to Kapa. "You have a strong family here."

"Thank you." Kapa said.

Maverick woke up and saw Kapa awake. "Big boy wake up, the boss is awake." Maverick said. He jumped down off the bed and went over to Kapa. "I missed you boss."

"I'm sure you did. I hear that you've been giving Menju's friend some trouble." Kapa said.

"No, I'm not." Arjic was now standing behind Maverick, and he put his chin on Maverick's shoulder. Maverick turned his head to kiss him.

"You guys have been in here for a week now, and you won't keep your hands or your lips off each other." Kai said hitting Arjic in the side.

Maverick broke off the kiss and said, "boss since you're up now I think I'm going to go back to my room. I haven't been sleeping well here, and I'm kinda tired."

"I told you that you guys could stay in your room about a week ago. Why didn't you go there then?" Kai said.

"The boss wasn't up then." Maverick replied, and took off pulling Arjic with him.

"Am I going to have to put up with that all the time I'm around them?" Kai asked. When both Kapa and Menju nodded, Kai said, "I was afraid of that."

......

It had been about four months since Arjic and Maverick were married. They would often invite Bruce and Tessa over, and now they had a little baby girl that Maverick and Kapa both loved to fawn over. Menju watched them all playing with her and talking with each other, before he decided to go outside. Once out there he pulled a letter out of his pocket.

It read:

I'm glad to hear that those two are finally getting married. I wish I could make it, but I met some new people that are helping me with something. I promise to keep in touch with you my brothers.

Tristan.

That was the last message they had received from him, no matter how hard they tried. Arms wrapped around him from behind and Kapa kissed his cheek. "Are you still worried about him?" He asked when he saw the letter.

"Yeah. It doesn't seem like he'd just disappear like that. He said he'd keep in touch." Menju said.

"Darling he's a big boy. He can take care of himself."

"I'm just worried Kapa. It seems like something's wrong."

"Ok darling, we'll go visit him. Will that make you happy?" Kapa asked.

"Who will take over while we're gone?"

"We'll work that out later darling."

"You'll really go with me there?"

"Of course. If you're so worried, and we can't get him to respond I can take a few months to go check on him with you. He's like family to us." Menju kissed Kapa, and they headed back inside. A second after the door to the ballroom closed behind them a shadowy figure snuck in through the garden.