chapter 13

The king slammed his hand down on the table. "What do you mean you didn't find him?" He yelled. "She's the only one he would trust to take him in."

"We checked everywhere my king. They were not to be found." The man said.

The doors burst open and Dunston walked in holding a scroll. "My King one of the archers shot down a bird carrying a letter to your wife. You need to read what it says."

"My wife? I thought my wife wasn't supposed to be able to get any messages in or out. How is she getting letters sent to her?" The king questioned.

"I don't know my King, but read the letter. It's really quite interesting." Dunston replied.

The king took the scroll and started to read it:

Dearest mother,
Thank you for telling me to be on the lookout for Prince Kapa. They have just recently arrived safely, and we have been fortifying our defenses. I promise you I will keep my brother and his family safe. My only wish is that I had some way to free you from your prison.

Love,
Queen Reiza.

The king tore the note up in his hands. "So my treacherous wife is conspiring against me too. I see them all dead for this treason!" He screamed.

"My king, please let me take some men off my choosing and go to Reiza's. They'll think I'm on their side, and I can destroy them from the inside out." Dunston said.

"Very well, but I want to be the one to kill my son and his husband so being them to me alive. Oh and Dunston if you fail me, I will have your head!" The king stated.

Dunston bowed to the king and he left to go pick the men he would take along with him. He had to make sure they were some of his strongest men, because his plan was to kidnap not only the two princes, but also Maverick and Arjic so he could have the pleasure of murdering them all. Dunston always took pride in his kills. He owed the king his life, for rescuing him from certain death and for allowing him to continue his murderous desires without question.

Although he had ultimately helped the prince to escape, he managed to survive by slitting the throat of another guard and blamed him for opening the gates. Now though, it was time to prove to the king that he could be trusted, for his life was and always would be in the king's hands. He rounded up several of the strongest and most trustworthy fighters on hand, and within hours Dunston was off to destroy the princes. The only thing he regretted out of this whole endeavor was he had to kill his best carrier pigeon in order to do so.

......

The king had not gone to see his wife in many years. He always had the maids take care of her to keep her from dying, but that was it. She had no human contact except for the maids, or at least that's what he thought until today. Somehow the bitch had found a way to contact her daughter, and for that she must be punished.

He unlocked the door, and was greeted by the stench of her. She was unbathed, her clothes were dirty and torn, and her hair was matted together. She glared at him and asked, "what horrors did I commit to make you come here?"

He closed the door behind him, even though he desperately wanted the fresh air. "I received a letter your daughter sent to you. It seems somehow, not only have you been able to send messages to her, but you've also conspired with her to hide your murderous son!"

"I don't know what you mean! I've not talked to her for years, and look at those windows. They've been boarded up for years. I haven't been able to see the light of day let alone get out a message." The queen said.

The king took out a knife. "Somehow you found someone to help you, and now you're going to have to die for your treason."

The queen didn't even move from her spot. She allowed the king the to kill her, because the sweet release of her earthly torment was the only freedom she would ever know. The king wiped off his knife and hurried out of the room. He didn't stop walking until he got outside, and he took a deep breath of the fresh air. He was going to have to have the maids scrub the room from top to bottom to try to get the stench out.