"Hi is this Ms. Danvers?"

"This is she" Carol said.

"Your daughter has a broken toe and needs to be taken to the hospital" you said jumping to the point.

".....fuck... um........ could I speak to her teacher?" Carol asked.

"You're speaking to her" you chuckled.

"Hi, I'm like an hour away from the city and I was wondering if I could just meet y'all at the hospital. I'm leaving as we speak right now" Carol said.

"Ah yeah. S-sure" you Said.

You hung the phone up before walking back in the room to Ava.

//////

"What are those?" Ava said pointing at the saggy skin that were on her feet.

"Blisters.......was your shoes too tight?" You asked the little girl.

"Yeah..... mommy say someone took my light up shoes off the porch but she said she'll buy me more" Ava said.

You knew the little girl didn't have it all. How the way she dressed coming to school. You felt bad for her, no child should have to go through what she goes through.

"Alright lets set that toe back in place" the doctor said coming in the room.

You got up moving on the bed next to Ava.

Ava pulled her feet back and in the process she pulled the skinny of the blisters on her heel.

"Don't worry baby I'm right here. I got you" You said pulling the little girl in your lap.

"I don't want it to hurt" Ava cried.

"It's going to be really quick ok?" You said wiping the tears off her cheek.

Ava slowly gave her foot to the doctor, cuddling more into you. She cried out when the doctor snapped her toe back in place.  You couldn't do nothing else but just hold her.

"It's ok baby girl" you cooed.

.........

Carol finally got to the hospital, rushing to her daughter's room.

"Oh my god I can't thank you enough" Carol said walking in the room.

"Hey. It's no problem" you said.

Carol walked over to her daughter kissing her head as she slept.

"they said they wasn't discharging her until you get here" you said.

Finally getting a good look at Carol, her bottom lip was swollen like someone punched her. Her clothes were dirty too, you seen tears rolled down her face as she sat on the bed looking down at her daughter's feet.

"I'm such a fuck up" she mumbled to herself but it was loud enough for you to hear it.

"Hey don't say that. You're a good mother" you said.

"I'm not. A good mother can get their child a decent meal everyday instead of junk food, a good mother can afford for their child to go on field trip with the school instead of taking her to some crappy park, and good mother can get her daughter shoes that she can actually fit" Carol Said drying her eyes.

That explained why you never see Ava on the days the 1st graders go on field trip. You stood up walking over to Carol, sitting down in front of her.

" you care deeply about her and you love her to death and I'm pretty sure you'll put your life on the line for her. That's what make you a good mother" you said grabbing her hand.

"I just want the best for her. And I'm trying so hard to give that to her" she sobbed.

"You just need help. That's it...."

You were interrupted when the doctor and some lady walked in the room. You stood on your feet brushing your pants off.

"Ms. Danvers?"

"Yeah?" Carol answered.

"This is mrs. Greene. She a social worker..."

"You're not taking my daughter away from me" Carol said cutting the doctor off.

"It's not permanent, it's only until you proven to the court that you've got yourself today. You're not listed in the system that you have job" the lady said.

"You're not taking my daughter period! I don't give a fuck what the system says" Carol snapped.

Looking over at Ava seeing if she woke her up. But the nurse gave her a dose in her iv for her pain.

"If you can't comply I'll be force to bring the police in to escort you out" the doctor said.

"Yeah let's not go there" you piped in.

"I'm her godmother. I can take her in until her mother can get her living situation right" you said.

You didn't want to see the little family hurt anymore.