Chapter 12

Gajeel P.O.V

I sat in front of the couch in Levys home, the television turned down low as I looked at Levy from my spot in the floor. She was curled up on her side, her face twisted in pain, and I could do nothing for her. Just before we left the bar, her dead leg began to hurt, and before we even made it home she was in too much pain and had actually passed out on my back. Gildarts came and gave her some pain medicine, though it only relieved it slightly. I had never seen the doctor so broken, watching the small girl he had watched grow up, slowly dying in front of him. And there was nothing he could do.

" Gajeel?" Levys voice was weak as she spoke. " I'm right here." I gently grabbed the hand she wasn't laying on and held it. She opened her now blind eyes and looked in the direction of my voice. " I'm scared... I... I don't want to die..." she sobbed softly, using her hand to wipe away red tears. I felt like a vice was gripping my chest as I watched the small girl slowly crumble before me, and there was nothing I could do for her. I sat up, gently scooping her into my arm as I took her spot on the couch, holding her in my lap.

" Levy, I" I had to clear my throat to get passed the lump stuck there. " I know your scared, and I wish there was something I could do, anything to take your pain away. I... I don't know what I can do." I choked out the last part. She clung to my neck as she quietly cried into my shoulder, and I could do nothing more than cling to her waist. We sat like that for a long time, neither of us saying anything as the sun began to rise over the slums horizon before Lucy burst in through the door. She looked windblown and exhausted, but a look of joy was bright on her face.

" What's with the look?" I asked, not really having the energy for nicknames. " Great news!" She exclaimed, standing in front of us and gently grabbing Levys hands. " What is it Lu?" She asked, trying to find Lucys face. "We found a cure!" She nearly screamed. " What?!" We asked in unison. " Natsu found it by accident. I just took it to Droy, he said it will take a few days to make. Can you hold out that long Lev?" She asked quietly. Levy tried to smile,"I can try..." she said quietly and Lucy nodded before looking up at me. " Gajeel, we need your help. We have to go on a serum run to tide us over until Droy is finished with the first batch. And there's a problem." She said with a frown.

Then, she told me about her and Natsus close call. " We need our strongest runners to fight those things, and Natsu is out of commission." She said quietly. I looked down at Levy who was wide eyed. Lucy smiled a little. " Don't worry, i will stay with Levy." But the bluenette shook her head. " They need you too Lu. I'll be ok by myself." She said quietly. " Shrimp, i ain't leaving you alone." I said sternly but she pat my hand. " Relax Gajeel. They need all the help they can get. I can stay at the bar with Mira and Gildarts." I frowned down at her and she pat my hand again. "I'll be fine Gajeel." She smiled at me and I sighed. " Fine."

Levy P.O.V

" You sure you'll be alright?" Gajeel asked as he set me on one of Gildarts cots. I would be staying with the old man in the make shift infirmary at the back of the bar, Natsu was in the room next door. " Positive." I smiled in the direction of his voice, my sight had failed me late yesterday. I wanted to beg him to stay,  but I knew it was selfish, they needed him.

" Just go and be careful alright? From what Lucy said, those things are gonna be tough." I said while gently patting his face. He placed his hand on mine and held it to his face. " Your not allowed to leave. Understand?" He said quietly, and I knew he wasn't talking about walking out of here. I smiled sadly, I wouldn't make any promises I couldn't keep. He sighed a little and pressed his lips to mine gently. I kissed him back, wrapping my free arm around him as much as my failing muscles would allow me. " Come back soon, yeah?" I said quietly and I felt him nod. All too soon he was pulling away from me and I heard him leave, my heart was clenched like a vice. I laid my weak body back, silently praying that I would still be here when he returned.