Chapter 30

Chloe slowly opened her eyes. She was laying on a hard bed, looking up at a brick ceiling. It took her a few moments to remember why she was, and why she was there. She slowly sat up, rubbing her neck. 

“How do you feel?”

“Ok,” she said as her eyes focused on Alec. He was watching her, she wondered how long he had been there.

“Your neck will be sore for a few days.” He leaned closer. “I knew your mother.”

“My mother. But how?” She stared at him for a moment. “You’re so young.”

“No,” his mouth twitched, like he wanted to smile but had forgotten how. “I am much older than I look.” 

“What was she like?” Chloe asked. 

“You look just like her, that’s probably why Aro wanted you to come. To see if you were anything like her. I hope you don’t disappoint him.” 

“Why? What happens if I do?” She asked.

“It wont be pleasant, for anyone.” Alec stood. “Aro will want to tell you the rest. He wants to see you.”

Chloe slowly got to her feet. “Why did Aro protect my mother when the others wanted to kill her? Why is he offering to protect me?”

Alec looked at her for a moment, “you have her eyes.” He pushed the door open. “Aro loved your mother, we all did. She was…different. She wasn’t afraid of us.”

“Then why was she killed?” Chloe asked, following him out the door.

“She knew the rules, she had agreed to stay here and raise you here. But she was afraid that the others would try to hurt you,” Alec looked back at her. “You would have been safe here. Aro would have protected you, but he always has protected you.”

“What are you talking about? How has he protected me?” Chloe asked.

“I’ve said to much.” Alec pushed open another door. Chloe could see a small table with food on it. Aro was sitting, waiting for her. “Be good,” Alec whispered as he walked away.

Chloe slowly walked into the room, not sure if he would make her dinner again. 

“Chloe, you’re looking well.” He pulled a chair out. “Come, sit.”

“Am I done being a snack?” Chloe asked as she sat. “I would prefer not to have anymore scars.”

“I do apologies for that, dear. But I had to be sure.” He sat down across from her. “I imagine you have some questions.”

“Why am I here? I thought I was to dangerous to be kept alive.”