Chapter 17

I stumbled up the steps as I heard Bella and Charlie pull into the drive way. I heard them open the front door as I fell into my room, kicking the door closed. I sank to the floor, a half empty bottle of vodka in one hand and my phone in the other. I heard them talking down stairs but I didn’t move, I just stared at Jake’s name. I tried not to think about him and just focus on finishing my history paper, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t stop thinking about him and knowing that he still loved Bella kept eating away at me until I grabbed the liquor, just trying to dull the pain. It shouldn’t hurt this much but it did. I was drawn to him as much as he was drawn to me, maybe even more. My eyes slide closed, I kept seeing the hurt look on his face, the look that I had put there. Maybe I wasn’t doing the right thing; maybe staying away wasn’t the best thing for me, or him. I pressed the cold bottle to my lips and took a swallow. I knew I would pay for this tomorrow, but right now I didn’t want to feel anything.

     I pealed my eyes open the next morning, only vaguely remembering why I was on the floor. But my pounding head quickly reminded me. I sat up slowly and glanced at the clock. 20 minutes until I had to leave for school. Being hung over is not the best way to start the last week of school. I carefully stood up and changed, keeping the light off to try and not make my headache worse. I walked down stairs 19 minutes later, Charlie had already left for work and Bella was cleaning up from breakfast.

     “There you are,” Bella said as she walked out of the kitchen. There was a cast on her hand. “Is everything ok? You must have been asleep when we got back last night.”

     I forced a smile, “yeah, I wasn’t feeling very good."

     “Oh, do you want to stay home?”

      “No, I’ll be fine.” I picked up my books. “We better get going.” Bella watched me for a minute before nodding and following me outside. I shoved my dark sunglasses on and got in my car, wondering for a second why Edward wasn’t picking up Bella.

     “Family trip,” Bella said, as if she read my mind. I glanced over at her as I started the car. “Edward, Emmet, Jasper, and Carlisle went camping.”

     I nodded slowly as I pulled out of the drive way. According to Bella’s diary camping meant they were going hunting, and they didn’t use guns, they used their teeth. Bella was silent the rest of the way to school, she must miss Edward. I pulled into school and parked, feeling my heart race as I looked towards the other side of the parking lot. Jake was there, on his motorcycle. I got out of my car and forced myself not to run to him.

     “I’ll go see what he wants,” Bella said from beside me.

     I stared at him; his eyes were locked on me. “No, I’ll go.” I handed Bella my keys. “I’ll see you later.” I adjusted my sunglasses as I walked towards him, keeping my eyes locked with his; I stopped less than a foot from him.

     “Hi,” I said quietly, I could feel the other students staring at us.

     “What do you want Chloe?”

     I frowned, “what do you mean?”

      He sighed, “You texted me last night and said you needed to see me. Why? You made it clear yesterday you weren’t interested.”

      I stared at him blankly, last night? I was drunk, I didn’t remember texting him but I couldn’t say that. “Leah came to see me,” I said instead.

     “I know,” he said darkly. “She had no right getting involved.”

     I rolled my eyes, forcing myself not to wince with the movement. “We need to talk.”