Chapter Seventeen

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

Have you ever loved somebody so much
It makes you cry
Have you ever needed something so bad
You can't sleep at night
Have you ever tried to find the words
But they don't come out right
Have you ever, have you ever
Have you ever been in love
Been in love so bad
You'd do anything to make them understand
Have you ever had someone steal your heart away
You'd give anything to make them feel the same
Have you ever searched for words to get you in their heart
But you don't know what to say
And you don't know where to start
Have you ever, Brandy

Chapter Seventeen 

A knock on the door brought Jace’s head forward. He hadn’t expected anyone to visit him at the office and a sudden thought occurred to him. He smiled a small smile as he thought that it might be possibly be his Amy. He got up from the rocking chair and walked over to his office door and unlocked it. The smile faded off when he realized it was his old friend whose now became one of his hired detectives, Matthew Stevens. The man broke into a grin and he slapped Jace on the back with a friendly pat. Jace couldn’t help but let a smile of his own as he greeted his old friend and asked him in.  Jace studied his friend carefully as he sat opposite him, still the blond-jock he’d met years ago but his friend’s face featured had changed since the last time he saw him. Fatigue creased his brows and Jace resisted the urge to look concern as Matt never did liked people making a fuss out of nothing.

“So, what news you have for me?” Jace said, becoming serious when he realized that Matt wasn’t here to have a pal chat with him.

“As I’ve told you before, the car is unidentified. I’ve checked on every police station to see if they know the plate number. But I came up none, Jace. Although, many of them had suggested that they’ll take the copy of the plate number in and they’ll do more check-ups” Matt said, rubbing a hand on his face.

Jace nodded, feeling quite guilty for making his friend work his butt-off just to get the result they wanted. “Thanks man. I do, really appreciate you doing this”

Matt nodded, and smiled abruptly. “Looks like you’ve fallen head over heels with the angel” Jace clenched his fists together to prevent himself from making a remark. Was this jealousy he was feeling? No, it couldn’t be right?

“You mean my Amy?” he asked, looking at his friend with a hard expression.

Matthew Stevens laughed, and Jace was irritated enough to realized that his old-friend was laughing at him. “What’s funny, man?”

“You, man. The way you said that just set me off.”

“Well, you can’t exactly look at her again that way because she’s mine” Jace said, dryly.

Matt shook his head and got up from the chair and shook his head. “I gotta go, I need to go and meet with someone before I head home. Got an early shift tomorrow thanks to you”

Anger vanished and Jace grinned and shook his friend’s hand before he left, saying “come and have dinner with us sometime. And bring that someone with you” he teased and Jace was greeted with a flick of his friend’s middle finger.

 Just soon after his friend left, Jace grabbed his coat and headed out the door to get home and get ready for his date with his lovely Amy tonight. He whistled on the way and ignored the amused glances from his co-workers. Just before he got outside, Jace was stopped by the woman in front him. His eyes widened to see Jordan walking towards him. Anger filtered through his veins and Jace resisted to bolt for the door but instead crossed his arms across his broad chest, waiting for her to get to him.