Chapter Sixteen

The Sweet Taste Of Rejection
Nhica Moico

How do I,
Get through one night without you?
If I had to live without you,
What kind of life would that be?
Oh, I...
I need you in my arms, need you to hold,
You're my world, my heart, my soul,
If you ever leave,
Baby you would take away everything good in my life,
And tell me now
How do I live without you?
I want to know,
How do I breathe without you?
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?
Without you,
There'd be no sun in my sky,
There would be no love in my life,
There'd be no world left for me.

How Do I live, Leann Rimes

Chapter Sixteen 

A week after Shay's wedding, a long week that had felt like forever to me since the last time I heard from Jace. The last turn of events had happened so quickly that night that I had forgotten my real purpose. The main plan was seduce my ex-husband and get him to spill whatever it was that held his beans. But it was all crushed and stomped to pieces when someone was trying to run me over. The thought of that naged me, but I was pretty sure that no one was trying to get me killed. I thought of many names in my head and none of them seemed to ring red-alert. Maybe it was Jace's paranoia and the others that had gotten into me. 

 Even though as I told myself this, I felt a small voice inside my head reject this statement. Could it be true? Was someone trying to actually kill me? This had been the last thing in my mind right now as the company and the kids had kept me busy. A loud buzz coming from my pocket shook me out of my thoughts and I glanced down to see my phone beeping. I pressed the answer button and put it on my ear.

 “Hello?” I said, and forgot to see who it was calling.

“Ames? Hey, it’s Vincent. I’m at this fancy restaurant with some of the clients and we were just discussing about The Board of Trustees, and how Jace became one of our holders” Vincent said.

I rubbed my temples and sighed, “How did Jace become one of the holders of the company anyway?”

“The head of The Board of Trustees called him up and gave him the position as he worked hard over the last few months and one of our good workers retired and so his place was left for my dear brother” Vincent sounded slightly annoyed, but there was that pride that interlaced with it as well.

“Wait – wait. Are you talking to your brother now?” I asked, feeling a frown crease my forehead.

“Yeah. It wasn’t clearly right to judge him just because I’m on your side. But I guessed it was time and were good now” I could feel my mouth form into an “O” and shut it immediately. Jace was seriously changing and he had started with me and then his brother.

Was I hearing this right?

“But I thought you guys had never gotten along?” I asked, nostalgia hit me.

“We actually did get along, believe it or not. Our relationship just got muddled up when he started treating you like a piece of shit”

Right.

“Really? I couldn’t recall you having a good relationship with your brother” I said. 

“It’s kind of complicated but were over that now. It’s all in the past but as I was saying, one of the clients are saying something about…..” Vincent’s voice trailed off in my head as I half-listened and half-thought about his relationship with his half-brother. I hadn’t realized that they had gotten along. But that was none of my business and I hung-up after Vincent and I settled some things for the company.