Chapter 27

"Did you ask Renée to marry you?"

Renée words swam through my head all day. Each time I have ever asked Javier about Renée, he has always talked about their relationship as if it was some kind of passing fling. But if he proposed to her, he definitely had stronger feelings for her than he claimed.

Does he still?

As much as I hated to admit to myself that what Renée said carried some weight, she was right. I do not know Javier as well as I thought I did. He has so many emotions that he keeps buried from everyone, especially me these days. Now, I am wondering if the happy bubbly person I first fell for, was ever really there at all.
So that evening when Javier returns, I refuse to give him any chance of pulling me under his sexual spell and immediately drop the question in him the moment he saunters through the door. He looks at me surprised but says nothing.

"Well... did you?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"It's coming from your ex... nope excuse me, current mistress, as she so threateningly explained it."

"You talked to Renée?"

"More like she forced a conversation into me... so you're not denying it?"

"What does it even matter April! That was a long time ago. Renée and I are done. Fin!"

"Did you make sure to tell her that?"

Javier runs his hands through his fair visibly frustrated. He lets out a deep sigh and looks at me puzzlingly.

"What are you talking about?"

"She told me you two have plans of getting back together."

"And what? You believe her?"

"I don't know what to believe anymore Javier. This new behavior of yours... I barely know seem even know you anymore. You're so distant now, and when I try to get close you just sneak away from me."

"Well, I am what you've made me!"

That is it!

"Don't you dare put this on me! I've told you what I wanted."

"Yeah now! What about tomorrow? You gonna wake up and change your mind again?"

"...That's not fair..."

"Isn't it... I- I can't do this right now."

Javier stomps away, slamming the door behind him.

~

Angry cannot even begin to describe how I am feeling after last night. I have never been so frustrated with so one so much in my entire life. I have always thought that my mother is hard headed but compared to Javier she is looking like a saint right now. As if I needed any more stress, I come to work to get an influx of calls from idiots who could answer their questions themselves if they had any competent brain cells left. With Javier nowhere in sight, as he usually never seems to be anymore, I have to find other avenues to take my anger out of now. As much as I try not to, with every person I encounter today I just want to tear them a new one.

"April?"

"What!"

The snarky response comes out before I even have a chance to stop it and realize that it was Damien that was trying to get my attention.

"Can you come in here for a moment."

I take a deep breath trying to calm my temper before I follow him to his office.