Chapter Five

Toni walked in front of Cheryl through the crowds. She decided to go outside this time since the inside didn't work out too well last time. People were chatting around beside the big group near the Karaoke machine. It seemed to be doing really well, attracting lots of dancers and great singers. Toni wondered why they hadn't put it up at other parties.

Before Cheryl and Toni could decide on what to do next, Reggie chose for them. "Yo Topaz! I haven't seen you all night, get up here you're next. Oh, and your little geek can sing one too." Reggie winked at Toni and then turned back around to Veronica. Toni didn't fight Reggie by what he called Cheryl, she needed to maintain a balance between herself and her fake self, even if she hated it.

"I guess we're singing," Toni said as she looked forward. Cheryl could feel her body tense at the thought of giving everyone another reason to bully her. Even though she was a good singer, she never told herself that or even thought it, her ego was too damaged. Besides, she knew she would choke. "Come on," Toni nodded her head in the direction of the stage and started walking. "Wait um Ton-Toni..." The poor redhead tried to speak, but only a whisper came out. Toni didn't hear and continued forward leaving Cheryl only one realistic option.

Cheryl ran to catch up with the other girl. Reggie grabbed Toni's hand and hoisted her up to the stage while Cheryl blended into the crowd. "Alright, everyone!" Chuck yelled into the mic. "As you know tonight's song theme is throwback. I'm happy to announce that our next song will be: La la Land by Demi Lovato chosen by our very own Toni Topaz!" Chuck held up his arm to introduce Toni and then scurried off to the side.

Cheryl recognized the song immediately. She used to listen to it as a kid when her parents would tell her how to live her life properly. However, she was confused as to why Toni was singing it. Toni's popular, she can do whatever she wants. Why would she feel judged? Not many people thought about the song choice other than Cheryl. But then again, Cheryl read into everything Toni did. While people around her were jumping and dancing, the redhead just stood and took in every lyric as if it were telling Toni's life story. Cheryl had no doubt in her mind that this song was meaningful to Toni and related to her in some way. Cheryl felt like she was drowning in the beautiful notes and she wished for Toni to sing on forever.

Before Cheryl knew it, Toni had finished and she was being called up to the stage. Her eyes went wide as she came to the realization of what was happening. Her classmates started chanting her name as they pushed her forward. Probably the only time that will happen. Sooner or later Cheryl was on stage and picking out a song. She knew lots of old songs so choosing one wasn't hard, but she didn't exactly want to rush into the whole singing part of this. After about a minute of stalling, Cheryl decided on the Elton John song she liked to listen to in the car. The one that reminded her of Toni.

The song began to play over the speakers, causing Cheryl to pick up the microphone with shaky hands. She took a deep breath before the words started and looked out into the crowd. She started to recognize the faces of numerous popular groups and immediately averted her attention back down to her feet.

Toni was in the crowd secretly worried for the other girl. She knew Cheryl didn't want this, but it might be good for her if all goes well. She had to admit that Cheryl looked cute as hell up there, but she wasn't prepared for when she started singing. It sounded perfect despite her being nervous. Toni was pleasantly surprised and she couldn't have been prouder.

Before Toni could snap out of her shock, Cheryl had completed her song with a loud cheer from the audience. She grinned widely for what seemed like the first time and glanced over to the brunette smirking back at her.