Chapter Three

Toni drove to school the next day with a plan in mind. She realized that even if she missed her chance at better friendship with people like Cheryl, she could at least try to be kinder to them. If she really wanted things to be different, she needed to start making some changes.

The only flaw in the plan was that her group would notice the sudden change in her behavior, so she decided it would be best if she only showed her true self in private. Better to play it safe at first than go all out and lose everything. But I would gain the one thing that truly matters. Toni fought herself inside her brain. She was getting ahead of herself and didn't even know if she'd end up following through with telling everyone she had been living a lie. Would her friends still accept her in their group? Or exile her for her disagreements? It was inevitable that they were all lying to appear perfect as well, but Toni was over it, she just hoped it didn't end in a social death.

The sound of the song "Revvin' my CJ-7" played throughout her entire drive to school. Sunnyside trailer park was a two-minute drive to Riverdale High at best, so Toni spent each day listening to a different alternative song. Definitely not the type of music her friends would listen to.

She parked her old, light gray Chevrolet truck in a front parking space. Toni looked in the mirror of her car to inspect her Dutch braids and make sure there weren't any obvious flyaways. After a minute or so of examination, she decided she was happy with her look. For final touches, she tied the laces of her white Doc Martins and tightened the red flannel around her waist. She opened the heavy truck door and saw a ginger-haired girl walk through the entrance to the school. Toni briskly followed her all the way to her locker, hopefully without looking too creepy.

"Hey," Toni said as she put her back to the closest locker. Cheryl's eyes got wide as she identified the girl speaking to her. The locker room yesterday was embarrassing enough for her and she really didn't want another episode of it in the hallway.

"Oh um, am I in your way? I can l-leave," Cheryl practically whispered as she closed her locker and tried to walk away.

"No wait-" Toni said as she softly grabbed the redhead's upper arm getting her attention. "I just wanted to talk to you. Actually, I wanted to ask you something." Toni's hand slipped down to her wrist turning Cheryl to face her. Cheryl's head was buzzing with fear trying to predict what the popular girl was going to say next. Judging from how Toni had acted so far, Cheryl didn't think she would say anything harsh, but she was still uneasy. Not to mention how nervous Cheryl was when Toni's hand was on her arm, but the feeling quickly faded when the other girl pulled back and scanned the hallway to see if anyone saw the closeness they had experienced.

The brunette studied Cheryl's worried expression as she pushed up her glasses. Toni's heart just about popped at the innocence of it all.

"Anyway," Toni continued, "Chuck is having a party at his house on Friday night, and I was wondering if you wanted to come?" Cheryl's mind boggled at the question. Out of all the possible outcomes of the conversation, that was the last place she thought it would go. She was about to accept the invitation no questions asked but thought better of it. The only reason she would be wanted at a raging party would be for entertainment purposes, and she really didn't feel up for their gags.

"Sorry Toni, but parties aren't really meant for people like me." She said while trying to make the exchange as short as possible.

"How would you know? I've never seen you go to one." Toni countered her argument with a smirk on her lips and her hands on her hips. "It's just-" Cheryl wasn't sure if she should even finish her sentence, but one look at Toni's challenging, yet sweet expression persuaded her to continue. "I don't want to be bullied if I don't have to, and if I were to go to a party filled with," Cheryl paused and gestured to Toni as if she were trying to find the words, "Well... you guys, it would be unavoidable."