The Hacker: Chapter 10

(Fan cover in media by ktd527!)

After sitting in the snow like a bump on a log, I dragged myself up to both feet. Quickly I whisked away the tears that lined my cheeks and took in a big whiff of air though my clogged nose. Smile, smile and pretend everything is okay... I said to myself before giving a bright beam to Red, "Y-Yeah, sorry about that. I guess... Bothering you on this mountain was rude. Sorry, a lots been going on so I guess it all came down," I laughed nervously. I moved my head past Red quickly to see the Evening sun now melting away in the sky like a painting.

Red didn't really respond, just continued to look down at me with his red hues filled with an innocent curiosity.

I slipped my hat back so that it would sit on my head right as I smiled, "Thanks for finding my hat, by the way!"

He shrugged with the corner of his mouth rising in a half-smile.

I took a quick breath in the awkward one-sided conversation, "Well, I should probably get going down the mountain now," I buzzed. I spun around, kicking some snow into the air.

My stomach bubbled up, I could barely face Red. I felt so guilty. My breaths were shallow as my feet scuffed across the snow as I let my eyelids drop. In the midst of my next step, I was halted. Not harshly.

Not in the least bit.

Soft fingers modestly brushed against my own, letting my hand slip off like butter before I had even comprehended someone had contacted me. But the single action had enacted me to pause, my heart thumped. Could he have realized who I was? It was the only idea that raced in my mind, Why else would he stop me...

As if everything was in slow motion, I looked over my shoulder. I found Red staring wide-eyed at his own hand. Confused being the only way I could describe his expression. Feeling my gaze, he snapped his head up quickly and have a twitched smile. I returned the clumsy smirk while curling up my hand into a small ball, thumb brushing over my index finger. "You," I began to ask with uncertainty in my voice, "want me to stay longer?"

He gave a subtle beam before nodding his head once. He was a lot like a shy six year old.

He seemed so much like a little kid in my eyes at the time. "Yeah, I'd imagine it gets pretty lonely on the mountain. Companies always nice!" I replied sweetly, like I was speaking his thoughts. "Plus, no one'll send out a search party for me for probably another week."

If any.

The red-eyed trainer gave a melted simper, his shoulder's dropping. Not in disappointment though. No, It was a way of relaxing. "Inside?" his deep voice purred, motioning with his eyes to the cave opening which lead to the depths of Mt. Silver.

"Are you offering for us to go inside?" I inquired, him giving a quick nod. "Dear Arceus, Yes!" I shivered, burying my face into the collar of Blue's jacket. The two of us casually strolling into the cave. I took a quick survey of the area and picked a nice looking rock to sit on. I wandered over to the stone and plopped down, my legs suddenly felt all the aching from walking for so long. I wanted to fall back and just sleep at the time.

Red, who followed me in, turned to look down at me. I returned his look of emotionless. The stare off continued for a few seconds before he suddenly pointed down at my bag. Really not feeling the mood to attempt conversation with the boy, I swung my bag to sit on top of my knees to display it forward. Red's vibrant eyes dulled slightly as he rolled out one of his pokeballs that was sitting on his belt. He twirled it across his fingers, showing that he wanted me to take out my pokeballs.

In understanding, I rummaged through my bag, half regretting deciding to stay back with Red. Once I took out my six pokemon's capsules, he swooped them away from my hands, "Hey!" I quickly protested. Though my shout was in vain because his back was turned, his hand waving me off.