Hell's Angels [20]

Start from the beginning

I snorted once more. 

“Sounds cryptic, but it is pretty self-explanatory.” Nicole murmured as she drew swirling patterns across the paper. “Your friend will be betrayed from within – so someone from his domain. They will seek to create hell on earth by killing the bridge which could be animal or human because it doesn’t specify - though the most obvious explanation would be a literal bridge or a person who traverses the three worlds.”

The teen shrugged her shoulders and laughed at the expression that was probably contorting my face into an ugly mixture of awe and disbelief. I laughed myself before freezing.

“Okay, let’s just say these people…” I cut off and a look of horror cuts across my features. “No, they wouldn’t be that evil would they?” A shudder coursed down my spine as my widened eyes landed on the confused teen beside me. “Nicole? The guy who got you pregnant – did he have a name? Did you ask something of him, make any promises to him before you  - ah – consummated your…” I paused and waved my hands in the air in a vague gesture. “… you know – your thing?”

“He told me a name, John but I don’t think it was his real one now that I think about it. He looked to exotic to be a John. And why are you asking about that?” A blush stormed up the neck of the teen. “It’s private.”

“I need to know because I think you may have been duped into making a deal – one that is nigh unbreakable.” My tone sent chills up my own spine and caused the girl before me to pale and look faint.

Immediately the teen started stuttering over her words while her eyes flickered back and forth. She was too caught up in a panic as she tried to recall her memories that I was almost afraid the poor girl was going to pass out from the strain.

Reaching out a hand, I laid it across hers and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

“Don’t worry. I will do everything in my power to keep you safe.” The teen shuddered and glanced away before sending a meek nod in my direction. “Now think back to that day – what did he look like?”

“He looked exotic. He was perfectly ordinary looking but there was just something foreign about him – something that drew me in. At the time I was just looking to hurt the town council and give them the middle finger you know? I didn’t want them planning everything out for me and deciding how I should live my life.” A tear leaked from the corner of her eye and trailed down her cheek. She angrily swiped it away as her eyes refused to meet mine. “I knew he was different from the offset, I’ve always sensed it. My gift I suppose you could call it that. He just felt wrong to me – just like you feel different. You’re not human but you’re not anything else. You are special.”

I smiled at her and nodded my head. I had explained briefly about my winged status and what it meant through half-awake mumbling the night before. It didn’t offer her much clarity because it was as much of a mystery to me as it was to her.

“I was sad, my mum and dad were gone. All I wanted was my family back.” She sniffled and looked up at me with reddened eyes. “I thought about that more than anything while we were together. We were comforting one another – or so I thought- and he told me that soon I would have the family I wanted.” She let loose a bitter laugh while a hand dropped to her swollen stomach. “I didn’t think he would mean it this way.”

I nodded my head and felt queasy deep down within me but I tried not to let it show. To think that the person behind all of this was evil enough to impregnate a teen just so her child would die for their purposes. It brought chills down my spine and I fought the urge to throw my fist into a wall. Things like this just weren’t supposed to happen – not after last year.

“What are you thinking?” A timid voice broke into my sombre thoughts.

I grimaced. I wanted to comfort her but knew that there wasn’t much that I could say.

“Truthfully, I am thinking that your pregnancy was planned. I think whoever is trying to depose Lucius took advantage of the panic to make your contract. To be honest, we haven’t even begun to sort through the ones made over the past year.”

 I shuddered as I thought of the hundreds of people who had signed away their right to peace. Not that hell was essentially the bad place that people imagined it to be - at least not all of it.

“I keep forgetting that you know the devil. I keep thinking of a man with red horns and a spiky tail.” A giggle escaped the teen’s lips but it was due more to the flux of emotions that were wreaking havoc with her system than true amusement.

“Don’t let Lucius hear you say that. He hates that the stereotype is still following him around. As he once said to me – it was just a costume. Seriously though, this will not be easy. You were impregnated for a reason and they won’t stop until they get it.” The girl before me looked tense and was worrying at her bottom lip.

“Don’t worry yourself so much. I’ll protect you and so will Lucius if he knows what is good for him. We will keep you and your baby safe even if it is the last thing we do.”

She didn’t look much comforted by the thought. And neither was I. The pressure just kept building upon my shoulders and it looked like the burden would ever get lighter. I wondered if this would be my life from now onwards because of the agreement I had made while dead. I could only hope not because I wasn’t sure if my nerves would survive it all.

“Come on, I need to cheer up and get you checked over by a midwife before the end of the day.” I pushed myself away from the table. “After that, we’ll get some proper food – ben and jerry’s of course- and we’ll start compiling a list of possible suspects. Does that sound fair?”

I received a muttered reply but the teen stood up nonetheless. I felt a fondness strike my heart as I watched her up and leave the room, her hand cradling the curve of her back. The protectiveness running through me was more than just that of a guardian angel – I wanted to help her. I wanted to give her the childhood she should have had.

“I will stop this,” I murmured to myself. My gaze was locked upon the doorway she had disappeared through only moments before with renewed dermination. “I WILL.”