Hell's Angels [20]

Start from the beginning

My eyes glazed over as I thought of the wild looking and slightly crazy woman whom I had met in the pits of Tartarus itself. For a moment something coasted to the front of my mind, begging for me to notice it and say the words out loud. I felt like there was something I should have done – something I should have told someone.

The moment was fleeting and I blinked myself back to the present in time to see a hand waving in front of my face. My hand instantly snapped out and tried to swat away the flailing arm but it was snatched away before my and could make contact.

“What?” I asked belatedly as the buzzing in my ears became more defined until after almost thirty seconds of muted murmurs I was able to hear Nicole loud and clear.

“I said,” my charge grinned at me like she was talking to an imbecile, rolling her eyes for added affect. “I think that is meant to be you.” She gestured down to the book and when my eyes followed her gaze I was astounded by what I saw.

Crudely drawn in scratchy drawings and coloured in watery colours, there were images detailing my assent into the world of supernatural – every single stage of the anarchy was depicted here - even the death of my friend whom I had killed only a year before.

I shuddered away from the image. It wasn’t my fault. I tried to reassure myself as my fingers scrabbled to turn the page, but it was one thing telling yourself the words and it was another to actually believe them. It hadn’t been my fault, not entirely at least. A bunch of neglected spawn of demons had decided to seek vengeance against their absentee parents and the cruel world that had subconsciously shunned the outsiders. As a result they had obtained a device which was meant as a failsafe should Angels and Demons turn rogue and attempt to take control of the world. But instead of being a means of defence, it turned into the enemy’s offense. The results were catastrophic and it had nearly caused the end of the world.

My friend was a victim – just like Nicole’s parents were too.

“Yes, that it is about me.” I murmured, my eyes finally daring to return to the page.

My fingers traced lovingly over the picture of family bliss in the bottom corner of the page. It was everything I had ever wanted for my son and to see everyone there – me, Lucius, Danny, Gabriel and Ezekiel – it brought lightness to my heart. But it was discomforting to see it beside blood soaked image beside it. It displayed the image of my nightmares – Lucius and Danny dead while I looked down at their bloodied forms. This was obviously the potential outcomes for this war. Death or happiness – those were my options.

“Is that what my wings look like?” I question vaguely as I see a picture of a dark hair warrior woman with grey wings large enough to rival her angelic companions. But most startling were the ribbons of red and gold that entwined through the feathers, pulsing and emitting a life force of its own.

“Yeah,” Nicole shifted awkwardly in her seat while her hand rubbed at the curve of her back. “There was a feather in the living room. I put it on the coffee table for you.”

Nodding again, I thanked her while my eyes latched onto the words on the next pages. Despite the chicken scratch handwriting, the words were actually legible and scarier to my feeble human brain; the words were actually in English. At least I hoped they were otherwise I was developing some latent linguistic skills that I didn’t even know I had.

“Those who see will be blinded. Eyes gouged from their heads, the winged ones will not see peril on the horizon until each of the locks begins to break.” I snorted and continued reading but the whole thing sounded like a poor attempt at being mysterious and ominous. “Listen to this. Betrayed from within, the skies will run red with blood when the life of the bridge is sacrificed at the sixth gate.”