Chapter 5 - Value

"If I can just grab a hold of his arm... I'll be able to pull it off...." Is what I was thinking back then....

I was in the karate club in middle school alongside Hibiki. Me and Hibiki were students that our sensei and the other students looked up to. Sensei told us that we have talent, talent to become professionals. With that thought in mind, I wanted to become stronger, so that I can prove myself to my master. I didn't do it because I want to surpass Hibiki or anything, I was fine if he was above me from time to time. I wanted to become stronger to protect.

Huh....?

What did I want to protect...?

"No." I stated. Aya seems to be worried about what's going on, tension is building up in the air and I want to be free from it. I wanted to avoid more questions, In fact, I wanted no more questions. But then, Hibiki grabbed hold of my hand.

"Then how come you used it to do a throw?" Hibiki asked. Looks like there's no point in avoiding this... Hibiki get's to worked up in these sort of things and you can't do anything about it. You just have to feed his curiosity demon.

"I couldn't think of any other way to do things..." I said. I hope that's enough to shut his curiosity out.

"Why did you do it when you know there are consequences?" Hibiki asked. "Consequences?" Aya asked. "You see Maruyama-san.." Hibiki tried to explain my situation, but I stopped him. "Not another word" I said. Hibiki seem to have understood me, he then said sorry and sat back down.

I make my way to the exit, but before I could do that, Aya took my hand. "Hey..." Aya exclaimed. I looked behind me to see the worried-looking Maruyama Aya trying to grab a hold of me as if she doesn't want me to leave just yet. "What?" I asked her. "Well...." Aya exclaimed. I don't think she wants to spill her beans that easily. What is she after? "Hibiki-kun San you're paying for his food..." Aya added. Oh. Oh yeah. I look over to the helpless Hibiki waving his hand at me. I then got back to our table and sat down.

"Welcome back!" Hibiki said. I sat down and.... "Wait a minute...this is fast food. I already paid for everything when we were at the counter!" I stated. He just wants me back to this seat.

"Anon-kun..." Aya said. It caught my attention, she was just standing there beside our table as if she was a waitress from a highclass restaurant waiting for us to finish deciding on what we're going to order. "What is it?" I ask her. "I'm sorry if I caused your arm some trouble... I didn't mean to..." Aya said. I had to cut her short. "You didn't mean to. Of course, it was on my accord. I helped you out of my own accord. Don't be sorry, you should be more thankful when people help you out you know?" I told her. Aya blushes lightly. Was I too cheesy? Did I say too much? "W-Well... It's late and we should probably be going.." I said. "I-I see..." Aya exclaimed. "You're Anon! Look at the time!" Hibiki said. We both grabbed our bags and stood up. "Well?" I ask Aya. "Hmm?" Aya wondered what could I have meant by that. "You coming or what?" I ask her. "Can I really join you guys ok the way home?" Aya asked. "It's better than leaving you alone walking home" I replied. She smiled for a bit, and rushed to the back to get her stuff.

"You know what to say sometimes Anon" Hibiki said. "I just said what I had to say..." I said. "Does this mean you're going to be picking up Maruyama-san like this everytime?" Hibiki jokingly asked as he shoves his face all over mine. "She can handle herself from time to time you know. It'll only be for a little while from time to time..." I said. Aya then approached us. "Shall we head home then?" Aya asked. And we then exit the joint and went home.

Once more, Hibiki left us half way through. I don't know his excuse this time, but it seems rather important. Once again, I am left with Maruyama-san. Err... Aya. We board the train and sat down. And no, we weren't so awkward. She sat next to me closely.

"Hey Anon..." Aya asked me. "Yes, I'll be fine. This isn't something to be so worried about" I said. "Eh? But I haven't even asked anything yet.." Aya replied. "Well it looked to me as if you're really worried about me" I said. "I am." Aya stated. Aya took my hands and held them up chest level. "You shouldn't be so mean to others that are just worried about you Anon!" Aya said. Is she mad? "O-Oh.. uhh... Okay then" I said. "Hibiki-kun seemed very worried about you. I wish you'd be more aware of that" Aya said. She seems like a very caring person, as I expected. I laughed it off. "You're.....laughing" Aya said. "O-Oh.. it's nothing, sorry" I said. She shook her head. "It's okay! It's a first for me to see you laugh" Aya said as she smiles upon me.

"I hate to admit it but... I'm glad I have you as a friend Aya..." I blurted out. "Oh... I'm happy as well Anon!" Aya said. I covered my mouth. Shit! I said that out loud!

Speaking of which....
"Hey Aya...." I said. "What is it Anon?" Aya asked. "Is there something particular about me that you like?" I asked her.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Eehhhh?!" Aya blurted out.

Obviously... I meant that as a friendly gesture, but why doesn't it feel like we're on a whole different page here?!

- to be continued -