Chapter 44 - Past

A yawn came out of me, followed by Makoto. After getting some rest, we're finally on our way to school.

It's a little bit weird going to school after a morning of working and running around for a huge event tomorrow. I'm sure we're both glad to be a part of this whole thing, but I didn't think I'd see myself in this kind of scenario a few months later.

It's.... calming.

"Anon? You good? Are you still sleepy?" 

"It's not that..."

"Then what's up? You look like you saw your grandparents across the river"

"I'm sure I didn't look that bad!!"

....

"It's just.... I still find it hard to believe that we're people who plays such an important role in this whole thing... I never would've thought that I'd be doing something this great... Do I really deserve any of this? I mean... Having a really good and flexible job...a great superior...a cool bestfriend....and now, an amazing girlfriend.... Everything feels surreal since it all started from my mistake from a while back..."

My words are true. it's not as if I'm overwhelmed by everything. It just feels somewhat.... like a dream.

Wait.... why am I even thinking too much about this???

Makoto stops on his tracks. Noticing that he wasn't keeping up, I stop and turned around to look at him.

"You've always been like this." Makoto said.

His face loses the smile he always keeps. His eyes tells me that what he's saying has substance. There's something he wants me to understand. Something he wants me to see.

"What are you on about all of a sudden?" I ask him.

"You're still worried about whether you're doing the right thing or not. You're still worried if you should be doing all of this or not. If it should be someone else who should be in your shoes. If tou even deserve any of this." Makoto said.

He looks down to avoid eye contact and he clenches his fist.

"You don't always have to keep beating yourself up over a mistake you made back then Anon. You didn't have to do that, yet you still did. You simply followed your heart. You simply followed what you wanted to do. Even if it didn't turn out how you wanted things to be.... what matters is you didnit and you got something out of it!" Makoto's voice started getting stronger and louder.

"You saved Aya that one night because you wanted to right? Even if we all know that anyone would probably do what you did, we have to face facts that not everyone can have the courage to do what you did." Makoto said.

His words struck me, and it took me to back to my train of thought from that time.

I rushed into the scene because I felt like I needed to be there. That someone needsd me to be there. Even if I didn't excel in martial arts or even jf I didn't have the ability to defend anyone else or let alone myself... I probably would've still ran there and save Aya...

"Don't say that you don't deserve any of this. Because even if you didn't, this are the fruits of your actions. If you didn't want any of this, you always had the chance to turn it away. But you didn't do that either..... Stop lying to yourself that you don't know if you deserve all of this or not.... You want this." Makoto delivers his last line before finally looking back at me to show how eager he was to make me realize what I can't admit to myself.

I honestly don't understand why I've been holding back on these gifts that I've received.... I'm not like this... I guess I should... really let go of my mistake.

I did what I wanted to do. I got disqualified and got a buttload of scolding. But I did what I did. And it felt amazing.

"Let me treat you to a Pork Cutlet Sandwhich....." I tell Makoto as I look away from embarrassment.

He's right. And I'm sure he knows he is.

"I feel really hungry today actually..." Makoto says with a playful tone and a funny look on his face.

"Fine!! I'll get you 2!!!" I reply as I run off to try and avoid a much more horrible deal.

"YAHOO!! I'm eating good today!!" Makoto said as he follows.

.
.
.
.
.

"Aya? What's wrong?" Chisato notices the weariness in Aya's behavior.

"We're still in school right now, I think it's a little early and a little weird for you to be nevours right now..." She added.

"That's not it... I've been worried about Anon for a while now. I don't know if he got enough sleep and if he ate properly before leaving today..." Aya's true feelings leak out.

She's been fiddling with her phone for a while now. Waiting for a message from Anon.

"Maybe there's no need to worry..." Chisato said.

"What do you mean?" Aya asked.

Chisato shows Aya her phone.

There's a picture of A defeated looking Anon and Makoto with a triumphant smile with two Pork Cutlet sandwiches on his hand.

"Makoto said that they got some rest before leaving for school, and that they're eating properly. He even won some sandwiches from Anon-kun somehow...." Chisato said. She smiles on the photo that Makoto has sent her.

Aya's face softens and brightens up. Her eyes got their shine back, and she feels at ease, finally.

"That's... that's good to know...." Aya replied.

"We should do our best now and for later. I'm sure you want him to see you at your best out there on stage right?" Chisato said while giving Aya a hope-filling smile.

"You're right!!" Aya replied.

Aya has finally calmed down after a while now. She's been worried about the well being of her lover, and she hasn't been able to calm down ever since. Knowing he's fine literally did a 180 on her mood.

"I didn't know you and Makoto-san were this close Chisato... I never heard any other guys that got close enough to constsntly exchange messages with you like this..." Aya said.

Sharp, but not sharp enough.

"E-Eh?! Ahahaha! I wonder why that's the case?!" Chisato laughs it off and decides to dodge the question with another.

- To be Continued -