Chapter 2

I don’t know how long I slept, but the melody of a flute seemed to float around me. It was soothing as if I was getting a massage; just add the sound of waterfalls or the sounds of waves, and bingo, you’re in your own little vacation spot. I cracked my eyes open and noticed that the sun was shining through my windows, which were actually doors that lead to a balcony. The first thing I noticed in the room was a clock painted on the ceiling. The pointers were both on the seven; just like the one that was on the front of the academy. That was weird. In front of my bed was an elegant white vanity resting on top of dresser drawers, its cherry wood furnished and cleaner than clean. The flute melody didn’t seem to stop; it was as if it was a wakeup call for students. Getting out of the bed, I went over to the vanity and opened up the drawers and noticed that all of my clothing was packed away nice and neat, each drawer holding a different article of clothing. But where was my uniform? Looking over towards my door, I noticed a door embedded in the wall and, just as it hit me, I opened up the door and saw that the five uniforms that was in the limo was hanging up in the tiny closet. Taking a uniform out of the closet, I looked around to see where I can get a quick shower, and on the left of my dresser was a door.

“Please let this be the bathroom.” I said as I put the hanger on the handle and as I opened up the door, there it was. The bathroom was white with random blue tiles appearing here and there on the floor and the walls. The curved bathtub was white with thick royal blue shower curtains; the sink was green marble on top with the drawers and cabinets below it a pale yellow. Everything about this was very elegant and it felt like I was living in a palace rather than a dorm. After I took a shower and did my hair, I wrapped myself in one of the provided housecoats and looked at the uniform in front of me. I took it and put it against my body and examined myself in the mirror. A frown appeared on my face as I saw that the skirt was a bit shorter than I wanted it, going just above my kneecap, and the short sleeves seemed to be kind of useless as it was autumn and it was getting colder outside. Either way, I shrugged and put my uniform on, tugging my clock necklace behind the fabric of the shirt and went over to my vanity again, now noticing my schedule lying on top, along with the rules of the dorm. The rose that Hansol gave me was still intact and it seemed to have never lost an inch of ice, even with the sun blaring inside my room. I smiled remembering how he made it. If I’m able to produce Water, will I be able to have enough skill to do that? But enough of boys, my schedule seemed to be more important.

“History class first, Elements, of my choosing of course, second…” I said reading the list, knowing that I will have to choose an element. “What? No science? No math?” Well it seemed like this wasn’t that bad after all. “Lunch for an hour, Astronomy, Element practice, which sent my stomach to drop, and then a study hall. Is that it?” My smile was beginning to slowly fade as I saw how long the classes were; no wonder there weren’t that many classes. It seemed like this school was more focused on Elements than anything else. Of course there would probably be curricular activities after the classes to fill in the space. Without wasting any more time, I folded my schedule properly to make it fit in my little breast pocket on my shirt, grabbed my key and locked my room. I almost forgot, I have no other pockets, so where could I put my key? Almost as if I forgot it was there, I looked down at my clock necklace and got an idea. Unclipping my necklace, I put the key through the metal rope and placed the clock in front of it. As I put my necklace back on, the hallway was surprisingly empty, maybe some students didn’t want to get out early, but how did that flute music not wake them up? And then I noticed that the music wasn’t playing anymore, not out in the hallway at least, but muffled behind my door.

“Strange…” I said as I went over to another door that was across from me and as I put my ear against the door, I noticed that there was no sound. Confused by this, I decided to just go about my business and head towards the elevator that Hansol and I took from last night. Before the doors closed, a hand stopped them and I noticed that the lady from behind the counter entered the elevator with me.