Chapter 1

“What do you mean you’re sending me away?” I asked as I was standing in front of them as they calmly sat down on the couch, my mom’s hand in my dad’s. This kind of news wasn’t something that you would like to hear on your birthday. A birthday was supposed to be about happiness, and spending time with loved ones. But the only ones that remembered my birthday were my parents, only because I didn’t have one. It’s not that I didn’t have one, of course I had a birthday; it’s just that I don’t know what day it was. My parents would always celebrate it on a different day on a different month every year. When I was in the orphanage, they told me that they found me abandoned in an alley way on the side of a building. I’m surprised that they didn’t look for the people who left me there, but at the same time, who would want to come face to face with someone who left a baby in an alley way?

            “Trust us, we looked at Star Academy, and we think it’s the best for you.” My mom started.

            “And don’t you dare think of it as sending you away.” My dad started, but I butted in.

            “You think that this academy will end your problems, wouldn’t it?!” I shouted. “I heard it from all of your friends, I even heard it from the family, if I could even call them my family! They say that I’m just a nuisance because I’m not blood related and that I’m weird! They think that there’s something off about me, but even I don’t know, because I’m myself! How am I supposed to think I’m weird or the things that I do is weird, when I think it’s normal?”

            “Don’t you dare think like that!” My mom tried to cope with me. “You are loved by all of us, blood related or not! We just think…”

            “You just think that if they want me out of the way, they would think that the whole family will be better again? Ever since I got put into this family, I feel like nobody else loves me but you guys!” I said, tears starting to well up.

            “Then why do you think that we’re doing this for you?” My mom got up and put her arms around my shaking body. “It’s because we love you.”

            I broke down and hugged her tightly, letting my tears fall. First off, I hated crying. It felt like all of my emotions just got scrambled together to make it feel like I was just falling apart. Second, I only cried when I felt like something moved me, emotionally. And it wasn’t that much. I didn’t experience that many things in my life to have me go through it. Mom sighed and wiped the tears off my cheeks before kissing each one. A sudden laugh escaped my mouth as I realized that this was probably a stupid thing to get upset over. It was only an academy, right? And if they think I would be able to do better there than where I’m currently at, which, to be honest, I’m doing just fine in, then I’ll trust them. For now at least. They checked the place out and approved of it already. So what could be so bad about it?

            “Now, why don’t you pack up your clothes and your other necessities?” My dad asked rubbing my back in comfort.

            I bit my bottom lip and nodded as I walked upstairs to my bedroom grabbing the suitcase from the guest room. My whole body was on autopilot as I stuffed my suitcase with everything that I had and in about five minutes, my entire suitcase was filled. I even had enough room to fit two shelves of books. Although I was more than likely going to get a uniform for the academy, but just in case we had off days, which we had to, right? It was like any normal school, except it was an academy. A thought crossed my mind when that little fact came up. It was an academy. That is not cheap. How did my parents afford such a place? I shook my head at the thought, I wouldn’t want to keep those types of questions floating around. The real questions and concerns should happen when I get to the place. Getting ready, I walked downstairs and noticed that there were several flickering lights near the kitchen entrance. A smile appeared on my face as my parents sang me happy birthday. Coming closer to the cake, I closed my eyes and wished that this academy would work out for me, just like my parents said.