01

Earth, 1988

Earth, 1988

Ten year old Peter Quill was sitting in a waiting room in a hospital. He was listening to music on a Walkman, the tape has some writing on it. It says "Awesome Mix". Peter wasn't paying much attention, until he sees an older gentlemen come over. His grandfather.

"Peter," His grandpa says, "Your mama wants to speak to you."

Peter frowns.

His grandfather comes over, "Come on, Pete. Take these fool things off."

His grandfather takes the headphones off Peter, and he then takes the Walkman. He turns it off, and placed it in Peter's backpack. The boy follows his grandfather down the hallway toward the hospital room.

When they reach it, Peter sees some of his other family members as well as his mother laying in bed. His mom was hooked up to machines, she looked so ill.

Peter tries to hide the black eye from his mom, but nothing gets passed Meredith Quill.

"Why have you been fighting with the older boys again, baby?" She asks.

Peter just shrugs.

"Peter?" Meredith asks.

Peter looks at his mom, "They killed a little frog that ain't done nothin'. Smushed it with a stick." Peter says.

Meredith holds a smile on her face, "You're so like your daddy. You even look like him. And he was an angel. Composed of pure light."

Meredith's eyes close for a moment. She was exhausted. She wanted rest. But she didn't want to leave her dear son.

"Mer," Peter's grandfather says, "You got a present there for Peter, don't you?"

Meredith nods, "Of course."

She touches a small wrapped present and card. Peter's grandfather takes them and puts them in Peter's backpack.

"You open it up when I'm gone, okay?" Meredith asks.

Peter's eyes start welling up with tears. He was a child, and he didn't want to loose his mom. He didn't want to be in a world without her.

"Your grandpa is gonna take such good care of you. At least until your daddy comes back to get you." Meredith says.

Peter didn't think his dad would ever come for him. He never knew his dad. He was always told stories of his dad from his mom, but never saw a picture of him or ever met him.

"Take my hand," Meredith opens her hands at the direction of her son.

In return, Peter just looks away. He was beginning to cry.

"Peter," Meredith says.

"Pete, come on." His grandpa says.

"Take my hand," Meredith says.