Part I - Last Chapter

Start from the beginning

   Aiden looks dearly at it, anger erased from his gaze as if it was a dream. He is acting strange and I wouldn't be surprised if the necklace was the cause of it. "No. This is not a good idea."

   "Aiden." I whisper with an irritated smile.

   I can almost see the gears turning in his head as he stays silent. Suddenly his eyes cross mine.

   "We don't know where your soul could go." This time, beneath the anger and lies, I see a glint of sincerity.

   "It is still tied to me Aiden, or I won't be better than a vegetable." I soften a little.

   He doesn't react and fasten the chain around his neck before hiding the pendant under his shirt. "I won't let you alone with it, I'm going to work."

   "Aiden, I'm tied to my soul. I can't leave it, remember?" I get annoyed.

   "Then come with me."

   "No."

   "You'll see the village."

   "I don't want to. These people don't like me!"

   "They don't know you as I do."

   "And they never will if I am lucky. And if they are too."

   "What are you implying?"

   "Nothing. Give it back."

   "Try me."

   "Aiden..."

   "I am not joking. I'm going to work, and you'll follow me." He goes out.

   I quickly follow him with an angered shout. "Give it back, Aiden, you are charmed."

   "I am not."

   "And how are you so sure? You're acting strange. You're forcing me. You're not like the Aiden I know."

   "I'm not that gentle, you know... Isn't it what you said to me? And so, do I. I just needed to help you for my self-esteem."

   "It was so long ago. I'm sorry for breaking your delusions but it was the truth. I didn't want to hurt you."

   "You didn't think about me. I won't either." He quickens his pace and I have trouble keeping up with him with my daily capacities. The distance between us increases and I pathetically cry his name just before leaving the security radius. At first, he doesn't stop and just like the last time the blade of the tattoo seems to slowly pierce through my throat. Tears well up in my eyes. I'm not sure if it is due to a physical or psychological wound. Was it merely the curse or being abandoned by him? After all we've been through...

   He suddenly turns back, and I can breathe again. I'm shaking. Since my legs are weak, they can't take my own weight and I fall on the road.

   "Relleis, I'm so sorry..." Aiden hugs me.

   I frailly push him, disgusted by the proximity of the necklace, and rub my neck. Blood on my hand. Tears in my eyes. "Give it up then."

   "I... I can't..." He seems tortured. Fine, I'll find another way to get it back. I stand on my feet and after a few hesitating steps I'm back to normal.

   Aiden playfully shows me around the village but I only nod when he needs me to. I know he's trying to divert our thoughts from the incident in the forest. He won't succeed even with a joyful face. I'm quite impressed by his determination though.

   We finally come to a stop in front of a black-smith shop.

   "This... This is where I work." He says with an embarrassed grin.