Part I - Last Chapter

Suddenly it clicks.

   The revulsion.

   Here it is! The receptacle. It was the tree!

   "I found it."

   "Mmh?"

   "The tree! I can't bear it!"

   Aiden seeks for a tree in the room. "The sculpture? It is not really a recipient..."

   "I feel it in my guts. If it is not a recipient, it is hidden inside, or it is charmed."

   I walk to it and a shiver runs through my spin as I come closer. I found myself trembling a little and my breath is uneven. I extend my hand to it and I retch when I finally touch it. "The sickness is no joke." I force out.

   "Give it to me."Aiden says approaching. I do with no regret. If I am still not that well, it is truly better.

   "It does correspond to the description; it is so light it must be hollow." Aiden frowns and rises it in the air. He throws it across the room on the opposite wall. The tree blows to pieces and my head spins. Aiden expectantly looks at me, but I didn't change. He forcefully closes his eyes a minute and look back at the fragments of wood.

   "It may have been inside." He finally says. "Stay here, I'll go see."

   I nod, stunned by a sudden headache, and take a sit on the kitchen table.

   "Something glowing under the couch." Aiden digs under the furniture and take it out. It dangles as he holds it by the chain. "A necklace. It's beautiful..."

   From the distance I see the faint twinkle of the pendant. It is a little dark-green vase blocked by a gold ring. A few strands of white pearls are fixed to its base. The assembly, even though a little too big to be a pendant, hangs on a long chain. I would certainly find it pretty if its view was not that unpleasant.

   "It is made of a resistant material." I say, disgusted despite myself.

   "Indeed. This light is fascinating."

   Annoyed, I roll my eyes.

   "Open it please. I think the ring is a cork. It might be screw in the vase."

   Aiden nods, but the ring doesn't move. I wave to him, but he doesn't see it. I cough. No reaction. He can't take his eyes of pendant.

   "Aiden." I call. "I would like to try."

   He suddenly acknowledges my presence and reluctantly hands it to me. As soon as my skin is put in contact with the necklace my headache is renewed, stronger than before. I wince and try to unscrew the cork. Unmovable. Easily upset, I throw it on the floor. Aiden catches it quicker than I would think it possible.

   "What are you doing?" He shouts angrily.

   Surprised I walk away. "What are you doing, you? We're supposed to break it!"

   "We don't even know what would happen if it is damaged!"

   "Yes, we do. I would be free."

   "How could you be so sure?"

   "We read tons of things about Witchcraft, Aiden."

   "It is never stated that breaking it will free you."

   "Yet it is said that it must be kept in good shape to properly work. We can assume that putting it in bad shape would be in my favor." I emphasize the "bad" and "my".