Part I - Chapter Two

The next morning, I stay late in bed. I take so much time to dress that I'm not out of my room before noon. It's extremely embarrassing to face him with my current look, now that he saw me at night. Once I'm ready, I leave my bedroom.

He is fat asleep. He almost snores. I roll my eyes. He must be overworked or something and just need to rest for a few days. And yet, the villagers were already burying him. I nervously laugh as I make food. I try to keep it low but it's harder and harder. I rush out of the house and laugh to my heart content. I roll on the floor.

At some point, I find myself crying.

I hate it.

I hate myself.

I can't laugh anymore. After six long years, I can't hide it from myself. I know I'm not in the same situation my mother was. And she keeps being a model to me. But this curse is so heavy.

What did my ancestor? I could give my life to prevent this to happen. I don't want to feel this way. How could someone love me when I'm this old-looking? My appearance is disturbing. I don't want to be alone. I don't want to hide myself at night. Because I don't want to look like this in the daytime.

And I cry.

My eyes hurt.

My throat is dry.

My lips are chapped.

My hands are numb from clenching.

Eventually, I find myself looking at the sky through the trees. It's clear blue today, without a single cloud.

What should I do? I want to change. I mean, it's not only because a boy paid me a visit last night. I just want to live happily ever after, feel my youth how I should. What could I do?

My back hurts when I stand up and I slowly walk around the house, thinking. Is there any family's memory in this house? The Witch is always here, there must be.

I go home and silently walk through the main room. I climb the ladder in the corner as quickly as my old bones allow me. I don't care anymore about the "You deserved it" creed. If I want to find something, the attic is the first place I should look at.

I rummage through the boxes and chests. There are many books about magic, but I can't seem to find a clue. As I let out a loud groan of anger, I remember Aiden downstairs and listen carefully.

Noises. Coming from the ladder. Someone's climbing.

No.

I hide myself behind a stacking of chests.

"I heard you."

I bite my lips, upset over myself.

"Should I come look for you behind the boxes?"

"I don't want you to see me." I finally said.

-"As you wish then. I'll be in the opposite corner of the room. Can I help you with something?"

I gently laugh. "How much do you exactly know about me?"

"Well..." He sounds embarrassed. I repress my desire to see him and patiently wait. A few minutes pass by without a word. "I don't want to scare you."

"I am not easily scared away." I say with a doubtful frown even though he can't see me.

"As I told you last night..."

"You-you remember last night?" I cut him with a gasp.

"How could I forget? It has been quite a long time since I want to tell you the truth."