Part I - Chapter Three

Content warning: description of a dead body, highlighted by ***

____

  So this is the truth.

   As if... It can't be!

   Disheartened I leave Aiden in the kitchen and go out. I squint, seeing the exact location where I almost died a few hours ago. And then, I was so glad to find something. Eventually I did what others couldn't before me! But what to learn? That the First Witch invoked demons. That she was devoured by it. And that her ghost had cursed her descendance. With one and only motive: she was angry at her daughter leaving the house since she was afraid on the murder scene?! It was ridiculous!

   But it was written in the diary. I had even cast a spell on the book, sure that something was hidden. After all the diary was hidden in the floor, and under the bed. There could have been one more secret. No. These things always go in threes... Let me laugh! For once, I would have liked it.

   The logical following step of denial was to doubt the story. But liftingthe carpet we did found the invocation pentacle. I could swear there were still drops ofbloods in the cracks of the wooden floor.

   I sigh.

   "I'm not sure about this."

   I almost jump out of my skin and put a hand on my heart. "Aiden..."

   "I read it a little." He says while showing the old diary to me. "She seemed quite ignorant about her own family history. She had only written about her mother, nothing about the father other than a cowardly attitude. Her mother never talked about him and she assumed that he had left them after knowing her mother was a witch."

   "How did you gather that much information?"

   "I'm a real quick reader."

   "It's impressive."

   He stays inexpressive but his ears redden. "Her mother didn't pay much attention to her from what I understood. I think that she learned Witchcraft from the books."

   "Poor little thing..."

   "She was forty years old."

   "Not that little..."

   Aiden gently laughs. His ears are still red, and I graze one with my right hand. His face stays white, but colors appear in his neck.

   "Are you embarrassed?" I smile.

   "A little."

   A sudden rush of affection takes over me. I put my hands on his cheeks and look straight into his eyes.

   "Thank you so much, Aiden. Don't avert your eyes, no need to blush." I laugh. "I didn't get to tell you this afternoon. But I am so thankful that you're here. I am a little afraid of the moment you'll leave me. At the same time, I don't want you to be hurt. And if I'm trapped in this state, you'll be."

   "You won't and so won't I. I am sure there is a way... Even if this book does say the truth, that your ancestor cursed you..."

   I frown. My ancestor cursed me? It... It is not possible! I am pretty sure of it.

   "Aiden! It's impossible! No, I mustn't cry victory to early... Let's go back inside, we need to do some research about curses. There are some rules about it, and maintaining it is really complicated..."

   Back to the books and the research. Yet it is easier this time. This time we know we'll find something to rely on. Well, if I was able to correctly tidy up my house... At last I find an entire book on curses. There are no titles on these books nor contents... It is way too funny to flip through entire books to know their contents...