27. Moon Unraveling

• Dedicated to Madeleine! Happy Birthday! Double update!!!

"Every day, it's a different version of itself.

Sometimes weak and wan,

Sometimes strong and full of light.

The moon understands what it means to be human.

Uncertain.

Alone.

Cratered by imperfections."

- Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

Scorpius was setting up the table and rearranging the flowers underneath their favourite tree near the Black Lake while Lily was back in the kitchen, preparing for goodness knows what. She told him it was another surprise, which was already a surprise in itself since Lily and the kitchen are two things that would never mix.

It irked him, knowing that she was striving to match his efforts, because he didn't want Lily to feel obligated to do anything for him. Everything he did for her was purely unconditional, but he knew Lily didn't like not giving back. It was part of her personality to be generous.

Once he was done setting up the table, a tray of Lily's recent cravings were prepared next. With the help of Alice and Hugo to find out what she wanted to eat, and a house elf in Malfoy Manor to buy the food, he knew Lily was going to be delighted.

He took a step back and studied his 'work of art', proud of himself for doing a job well done.

"Wow. Did you do all this?" Lily asked when she arrived at the black lake, her outfit changed into a simple white Sunday dress, detailed with delicate lace on the upper area of her dress. Not that Scorpius was staring there in a perverted manner. It was just an 'observation'.

"I can't take all the credit. Our friends helped a bit." He winked at Lily and pulled the chair so she could sit down. "Do you like it?"

"Like it?" She scoffed. "I love it! All my cravings are finally going to be satisfied." Lily excitedly looked down at the food: Pepperoni pizza, Mexican burrito, peppermint milkshake, sushi - literally everything she had mentioned to her friends were all there.

Scorpius saw her giggle, making him grin widely. "Why are you giggling?" He asked amusedly.

"Nothing... It's just... This is really sweet. And the food isn't even fancy, I love it." She smiled genuinely, reaching out for Scorpius' hand.

"You don't like fancy?" He held her hand.

"It depends. But right now, I do want to eat all these random food."

"Okay, let's dig in, shall we?"

"We shall." Lily nodded and took a slice of her pizza.

Scorpius caught Lily staring at him as he was eating his second slice of pizza. Consciously, he stared back, his grey irises wide.

". . . What?" He finally asked.

"I'm just curious." Lily shrugged.

"Curious of?"

"Why you almost didn't make it during the second task?"

"You mean you're curious of what I saw in the potion of despair?"

"Kind of." Lily admitted, smiling at him guiltily.

It took a while for Scorpius to respond since all the flashbacks he had seen was almost forgotten, buried deep inside his mind and was supposed to be kept there for good.