The Evening Before

Cavin had watched the day grow long as he accepted petitions and greetings from more of his Nobles as they arrived, glancing when he could to Shelby when the man appeared. His friend had been moving through the Market and the receiving area, keeping him appraised of what was happening amongst the rest of the gathered crowds. When the receiving was done for the day and supper was being prepared for a large outdoor feast, the sun low and red in the sky, he stood and strode impatiently to Shelby, who had just arrived from wherever he had been.

"They haven't returned yet?" Cavin was tired after a long day of greetings, sideways comments and attempts at maneuvering. He had also spent most of the time worrying about the woman he had given his heart to, knowing she had crossed the river to represent the kingdom and had not intended to be gone more than a couple hours. It was a small collection of Feysha, no one had expected it to take her more than half a day, let alone until sunset.

"A great deal of newly purchased goods have, but I haven't had any word of anything amiss." Shelby shrugged but he didn't argue as they strode out of the human gathering and made their way down the riverbank towards where a small row boat floated easily moored against the current. 

Cavin could still make out the collection of makeshift stalls backing against the forest, though the amount of forms in brightly coloured clothing had multiplied greatly, most of them gathered around one end, where people sat in a circle, not that he could pick out from this distance who was there, or what they were doing.

Oliver appeared at their side and nodded to the boat, "ah, so we get to escort our wayward women back?"

Cavin growled at his friend, stepping into the boat and letting them scramble in and settle at the oars. Though he desperately wanted something to do with his hands himself, Shelby sat down to do the physical work before he could even contemplate it. "My betrothed. I let her go, with relatively little security. She's the future queen of our kingdom. Was I too trustful? I didn't even think about the danger, I should have. Where did all those Feysha come from?"

"There's nothing going wrong, my liege." Oliver said easily, patting the extendable far seer hanging from his belt to indicate he had been watching, "they did some shopping. And now they're sitting around, playing instruments, as far as I can tell. I can't see a look of concern or worry on anyone's face, not even Benchan's men look anything close to worried. Your trust was not misplaced."

Shelby nodded at that, grinning to him in the fading daylight, "there is no need for criticism of the King. Everything is to plan, for as much as anyone knows." He then let out a curse, as the boat was suddenly jerked, pulled forward through the current quickly, barely giving him a chance to pull the oars in to avoid losing them.

Cavin frowned and turned back to the shore, seeing Verana standing on the bank and holding out her hand as if reaching for them. It took him a few moments to realize she was pulling them, quite quickly, across the river with her power. When she stepped to the side, he braced as the tiny boat was pulled completely up onto the grassy bank. 

From this side of the river, he could hear the music drifting towards them, an odd combination of a familiar song with alien instruments and words. But he could pick out Amiya's voice amongst the melody as he climbed from the boat, followed by his two friends, "thank you, Lady Veranandein."

She shrugged, taking a few slow breaths that he was beginning to recognize as signs of some effort on her part, motioning for them to follow her. "I was growing tired waiting for you to arrive. I could smell your anger from across the water."

Cavin blushed and opened his mouth to offer an explanation when Oliver offered a chuckle. "He was worried about his betrothed, being charmed away from him by a beautiful Feysha warrior."

Verana gave Oliver a look, then glanced to Cavin for a moment, breaking into a smile as if she sensed the joke. "They do think Lady Amiya and Lady Reyani are very beautiful. I apologize, the concept of time gets away from us. I understand that it is a new situation and perhaps took longer than you expected. But all is well, come." There seemed to be less tension and danger in her, the smile showing more humour than the dark violence it usually held.

She led them up the bank, slowing as they got closer and some of the Feysha noticed the newcomers. It seemed almost instantaneous that the number of individuals milling around faded from sight and more of the dark warrior types were visible, distant but watching. Always watching. Cavin hadn't detected movement, but the crowd had shifted between heartbeats as him and his two friends were observed.

The music didn't stop, the Feysha musicians not looking up from what they were doing. Cavin felt himself relaxing, the worries and emotions from the day draining him as he listened. He took in the serenity permeating the area and continued to follow Verana, though they now walked gently towards the group, allowing for some distance between them and others. He saw Amiya,  standing in a group of brightly clothed Fey, laughing in delight as they taught her how to dance to the music as it began to pick up into a lively and bright song.

"This is magical." Oliver murmured softly, his eyes wandering over the entire scene, before resting on Verana, who stood stoic beside them. "If I live the rest of my life blind as a result, I will never regret being able to see this. I'm overwhelmed by... the beauty of everything right now."

"You can join them, if you like, it is not a hard dance to learn... the music moves you all on its own. They would be honoured, I believe. I have told them who you are." Verana said easily, nodding to the group of dancers moving lightly through the field in front of them. 

She nodded and said something in her language to a couple Fey who approached and suddenly Cavin found himself and his two friends being guided to join the dance. He wasn't sure if the contact was so light it didn't register or if he was ushered along without any physical contact, as if the music really did call him along, his body moving of its own according.

Time got away from them and Cavin didn't know how long they danced but the sun was fully set, the stars were dancing and the moon lit the fields when the music faded by the time they stopped. It left him with an enduring sense of contentment and happiness, grinning like he had not since he was a boy as he looked into Amiya's shining eyes, falling in love with her all over agai., "My love."

She blushed and offered him a demure curtsey, blinking and looking around as if just realizing the time. "It is night already?"

"It is." He chuckled and offered her his arm, turning to look over to where Shelby leaned close to Reyani, speaking lowly in her ear, drawing an amused laugh. Oliver stood with Verana and the dangerous one named Shaktay, talking easily with the two fighters who seemed a little less dangerous in the echoes of the music. "We should be going back."

With his words, Verana turned to look at him, nodding and murmuring something to Shaktay, who gave her a hard look.  Verana walked with the group of them as they made their way back to the river bank. They were followed by Benchan and a couple of his men, who rushed forward to move the boat back down to the water. Cavin helped Amiya in, turning to watch Verana as the others climbed in around him, before sitting down as she moved closer.

"I will move you across, the current is stronger tonight. And it will be hard for you to land with the reduced light." Verana said easily, as the five of them settled. She looked over to the other shore, scanning it for a few moments, before nodding to them. "Your men are waiting for you, you will be safe when you land."

As she lifted her hand, Shaktay stepped closer to her, grabbing her forearm and lowering it, talking lowly, but clearly looking perturbed about something. A heated debated lasted a couple heartbeats before Shaktay said something sharply and climbed back up the bank in frustration, moving to stand beside Sir Benchan. Verana lifted her hand again,and suddenly the boat was moving back into the water, and quickly across it, as if pulled by a strong wind.

"I have the feeling we shouldn't have accepted her assistance." Cavin said as they banked on the far side of the river, lifting his hand in thanks, though it was too dark for him to see across the water. When the boat was empty, it was pulled back into the water and disappeared into the darkness once more.

"The tournament does start tomorrow." Shelby murmured, as the turned from the water and made their way back towards Keepsal.