T H I R T Y - S I X

ابدأ من البداية

"Ashley! Hey!" He exclaimed.

"James? How are you? I haven't seen you since high school."

"I know. I missed you."

She just smiled and then she glared at me. "Alvin, you have a lot of explaining to do! Where the hell is my date you kept telling me was coming?" She was stomping over to me but stopped at James's voice.

"It's me. I'm your date," he said.

She turned around and looked at James and then back at me. "Is he?"

I nodded.

She smiled. "I was hoping for this."

"Really?" James and I asked incredulously.

She just smiled wider with a head nodded. "Oh yeah. I've always liked James. He was always sweet to me." She then turned to him. "Even though, I thought you hated me for a moment."

"Never. I thought you hated me."

"Skeptical at first because you were a friend of Alvin's but when we shared that moment back in high school, all of my doubts washed away."

They were just smiling and staring at each other while Dawson, Mai and I watched.

"Wait what moment?" I asked.

The two just completely ignored me and walked hand and hand inside. I sighed and motioned my brother and sister to follow. When we got inside, I took in the liveliness of the place. It was filled to the max. I was afraid I wasn't going to get a table to sit at. Luckily and conveniently, we got a booth right behind James and Ashley.

"You two wait here for me, okay?"

Mai and Dawson both nodded and gave me the thumbs up as they sat down.

"You got this. You're Alvin Lee for god sake. One of the coolest humans ever. If anyone got this, it's you," Dawson said.

"We'll be here cheering you on and planning for the wedding," Mai added.

I chuckled and then moved to Ashley's and James's table where they were chatting it up. Smiling ear to ear, with heart eyes and butterflies swarming around them. They looked like they were having the time of their lives and then I came.

"Hey, Ashley. Are you sure he's working today?" I asked as I started to look around.

"Yeah, I seen him, he was-"

"There he is!" I exclaimed as I watched him give a platter of food to a family.

It felt good to see him smiling again, even if, it was probably fake. I just stared at him, body immobile as I watched him walk off.

"What are you doing, dumbass? Go get him!" Ashley exclaimed before she slapped my butt.

"I, uh-" I looked down at my hand and then realized that I didn't have the flowers or the chocolates or the card! "Oh shit! Oh, shit times one hundred! I forgot the gifts!"

"Dude, screw the gifts. I'm sure seeing you and hearing you would be just enough now stop stalling and go!" James said as he hollered the go part.

"Okay," and so I did.

I walked through a few a people and with each step closer, I felt myself dying from nerves. I then had to tell myself that I was Alvin Lee, I didn't get nervous when it came to talking to people. That gave me a bit of confidence and I started walking at a greater speed.

But Kabelo wasn't just anybody, he was someone I had deep feelings for and that's when the nerves came back and I started looking down again.

Unintentionally, I ran into who I wanted to see.

"Excuse me, sir-"

I looked up and there he was. "Hey... Kabelo. So good to see you?"

His brows furrowed. "What are you doing here?" Before I could answer, he spoke. "Don't tell me. I don't care," he pushed passed me.

"Kabelo, please listen!" He ignored me. I had no choice. I had to go with plan B and publicly put him on the spot. I looked around and found an empty table to get on top of which immediately grabbed people's attention.

"I have an announcement to make!" I hollered. The room went silent, surprisingly. Shit, now I really had to make sure what I was going to say next was worth something.

Before I could speak, a worker cleared his throat and tapped my leg. "Hey, man. I get that you have an important announcement but could you like, not stand on the table?"

I-

"It's just a suggestion," he said.

I stepped down and he thanked me.

"Alvin, what was that for?"

"Kabelo, I came here today to tell you that I was wrong and that I totally deserve to get punched in the throat for how I've treated you. I came here to see you and to tell you that you were right. I do have some growing up to do and I've been trying to, for you because I like you, Kabelo. I really really like you and I do want to be with you. I don't know if I'm gay, bi, pan or whatever but all I know is that I want to be with you and only you."

A bunch of aw's emerged from the silence and Kabelo and I shared a laugh along with a few others.

I now had the confidence to step closer to him and take his hand. "I'm sorry, Kabelo. I'm so so sorry and I understand if you don't want anything to do with me but I just wanted you to know that I do, indeed like you and hope that you could give me a chance."

He smiled. "Wow, you are so gay."

I laughed. "Well, okay, so maybe I'm a bit gay but only for you."

He gave me one last smile before we gave everyone what they had been waiting for and that was the kiss. The kiss that sealed the deal. Everyone around us cheered and I think I even saw Mai and Dawson crying. Mai was bawling while Dawson pretended that he had something in his eyes.

"That was pretty epic, huh?" Kabelo said.

I looked back at him and gave another kiss just because one wasn't enough and that was just the beginning of it all.

Also...

"I won the damn bet! Ashley, pay up!" I exclaimed as I approached their table.

Needless to say, I was 200 dollars richer and I had a boyfriend so life was good. Life was so good.