Part I - Chapter Three

Start from the beginning

   "Aiden." I call. "I have something."

   "Let's read it together."

   Even though Aiden reads fast I can keep up with his rhythm since I know exactly what we're looking for. The difficulties, terms and constraint of curses.

   "Here. A curse needs to be fed as long as the curse setter wants it to be applied. It means that the curse is draining energy from someone somewhere."

   "It is then true that the First Witch couldn't have cursed you since she was already dead."

   "Indeed, the description of her ripped corpse was pretty itemized in the diary."

   "We need to know more about your curse."

   "Curses are a difficult part of Witchcraft; the smallest change can have great consequences. And a great Witch can easily change the terms on the Cursed part. There is always doubts when something is changed from the original curse."

   "What do you think is the main part of yours?"

   "It seems to be the embedded soul and not the appearance."

   Aiden nods while pulling the book in front of him and glances over each page. I repress a yawn and rest my head on crossed arms. The excitation is already dying down and I observe Aiden. Concentrated he's not bothered by the lock of hair in front of his eyes. I remember its fever a few days ago. He shouldn't be awake. We didn't even eat finally...

   I stand and look for some bread and cheese. I even find some country ham and put it all on the table. "Let's eat Aiden. And then you should go to sleep."

   "I don't want to."

   "I am no doctor I can only bring remedy. And the best remedy for a lack of sleep is... sleep."

   He doubtfully looks at me with a grin. "I don't want to sleep. It seems like losing time..."

   "I am not acting like it but I can wait a little. I did during seven years without batting an eye."

   "Seven years is a long time." He says while cutting a piece of ham. "I regret not to have been on your side sooner."

   "Not that I'm complaining, but I don't know why you are right now."

   "I like you. A little more each day."

   "Oh my, it is so refreshing! You're all red when you receive a compliment, but you can say that with such a facility."

   "How do you know?"

   "Hum?" I ask distractedly.

   "How do you know it's easy for me?" He draws my chair closer to him and I lost my words, my head full of his sudden proximity.

   "I am not a kid you know." He assures while putting his arms on each side of me, his hands on the table. "I am aware that we know for quite some time. But I aged. Telling what I like is tougher with time."

   "It shouldn't be." I whisper.

   "I desire new things. Sometimes I'm even ashamed. And I find myself strange for wanting to kiss a grandma..." His gaze falls on my lips and I shudder.

   "It's prohibited!"

   "And during the night?"

   I advert my eyes to flee his intensity. It's certainly unmeant on his part but he prevents me from thinking. "I don't know... Is this a good idea?"

   I feel his breath on my forehead as he kisses it. "So be it. Let's eat and sleep only."