Part I - Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

"Go on, then..." I says promptly.

"I already saw you a few times. At night."

"Did you tell somebody else?"

"No." He abruptly answers.

"How come you saw me a few times? I was so careful not to appear outside!"

"Apart from the time when you slept outside. And the few times you let the curtains opened. It was mostly at the beginning."

"I can't believe myself... My mother had told me to be careful since as the Witch I would attract attention all day. Didn't know you were the type to spy on someone though..."

"It was an accident!" He defends himself.

I don't pick up on him.

"At first..." He finally admits.

"Guilty as charged." I sneer.

"I was hurt! I had fought with my friends and was hurt!"

"You did mention it last night. What was the injury?"

"A broken nose..." He whispers after a few seconds. He opens a box and rummages through it. "A girl I had upset wanted to fight. I didn't see it coming but she had a great right hook. I may have been over confident..."

"So this was from that time."

"What was from that time?"

"Your nose. I saw it yesterday. It didn't correctly heal."

"Thank you for the notice. I was surely not aware of it..." His tone is upset and I curse myself for my lack of tact.

"I find it cute, I say without thinking."

An embarrassed silence falls on us.

"Forget about the whole nose thing, please." I whisper blushing.

"I have a selective memory. I'll remember only what I want. And I don't remember your last demand."

"Why did you come back?" I change the subject.

"I... I was amazed by your... Hum... I can't seem to find the right words. Your presence, maybe? Never mind, I couldn't believe my eyes the following day. I thought about you all day for an entire week. And I decided to come by again. I thought the Witch and the pretty girl were two different people, to tell you the truth. The first years I would look for you while visiting the Witch. The nighty you..."

My heart aches a little but I ignore it and look over a magic book hoping for at least a riddle to appear.

"After some time, I asked questions about you to my mom and the villagers. My mom really liked you, I must say. It was not really you though... I guess it was..."

"My mother. I never saw your mother. Why did you use past tense?"

"She died in her sleep three years ago."

"I thought... I thought she would have come to me was she ill. I am so sorry."

"Don't be. I mean, you lost yours too..."

"I wouldn't be here if not..." The bitterness in my voice surprises me and I'm left stunned for a few seconds. "Oh my, what did I just say? I don't want to appear cruel. I mean... It is true but I don't resent her or anything like that..."

I am lying. But I can't say it out loud. I'm ashamed of it.

"The villagers didn't like me asking questions. They were... They still are afraid of you. Told me you took your revenge on my indiscretion by going after my mother's life."