Fretting and Feelings

I padded through the bottom levels of the mansion. This was where Logan and I had first met the Professor and found the school. However now was not the time to remember past memories, it was time to talk with Logan and see how Jean was doing.

I sniffed the air and scented him easily. His normal scents was engulfed in pain, grief, and concern. I followed the waves of emotional scent into the medical room. I saw Logan standing by the limp figure of Jean and for a heartbeat I wasn't even sure if she was alive. I looked again and saw the faint rising of her chest.

I strode forward and flicked my ears. "Thought I'd find you here."

Logan turned around and looked at me with sharp eyes. "Yeah? Why is that?"

I shrugged although to me the answer was obvious. "If Thruster was hurt, I'd be with him. Jean is not well and you're with her. That's how I figure it."

Logan turned away from me and continued to look at Jean. He didn't really seem to register I was there anymore. I couldn't exactly blame him since he seemed to be in a haze of grief. I had been in that many times so I knew the only thing I could do was try my best to be a good friend and comfort him.

I strode forward and sat at his side. I lifted my head and brushed my fur against his fingers. To my surprise they twitched and I brightened. He then used them and scratched me between the ears and my tail wagged in pleasure. He did this for a bit before his hand must have gotten tired because he stopped and leaned on Jean's table.

"If she awake yet," I asked. I could scent the smell of life on her but it was faint. There was some other energy surging through her but I couldn't quite pick out what exactly it was.

"If she was awake she's be up, now wouldn't she," snapped Logan.

I drew back a bit, surprised at his harsh tone. I grumbled to myself before I reared on my hind legs and pawed at Jean's arm a bit. It was limp and lifeless and I knew that wasn't promising. In the forest if a Wolvy acted like this we would pronounce them prey-dead. Prey-dead meant they were alive but barely, just like prey before you give them the killing bite but they already know they were defeated.

I twitched my ear as I heard something behind me. I lowered back down and saw the Professor and Thruster padding forward. I brightened and padded toward my mate and we touched noses.

"Are you okay," he asked me before his gaze traveled to Jean.

I gulped. "Yeah I'm fine but she obviously isn't, at least not really."

Thruster was tempted by curiousity to come closer to Jean and assess her but he obviously thought better of it and recoiled. He then looked back to me with serious eyes. "We should leave them," he suggested before he lashed his tail. "Plus we need to talk."

My eyes lit in worry. "W-We do," I stammered. "About what?"

Thruster didn't say anything, just threw his head toward the door. "Just follow me," he finally barked. "I'd like to talk outside. It's er peaceful out there."

I was about to ask him why it wasn't peaceful in here but I didn't. We made our way out into the court yard and I saw mutants running and playing a few games like soccer. I rumbled in amusement as a young mutant wolf in my class named Puck kicked the ball out of bounds and right at my paws. He looked embarrassed so I nudged it with my muzzle back to him. He dipped his head in appreciation and bolted back to the game.

"So why are we out here," I pointed out as I saw Feldspar and Smokestream working on their powers at the edge of the boundaries. I knew that Smokestream had asked me to help him with his powers but I had been extremely busy. I hoped he'd understand.