We Are Mutants

I surged through the hallway before I skidded to a halt at my den. I pushed my way in and saw Thruster looking flustered. The pups were bouncing around and wrestling. They yipped and howled excitingly and I saw why the Professor had said that Thruster's mind was all over the place. He wasn't used to the burst of energy that our pups had after they slept.

"Everything alright," I asked as I strode toward Thruster. His eyes looked tired and his fur was ruffled. I was wondering how he would do with a full day with them.

"Thank Starbound you're back," Thruster gasped as he shoved his muzzle into my shoulder and let out a billowing gasp.

"What? Couldn't handle four pups for an hour," I asked in amusement as I licked him between the ears comfortingly.

"I don't know how you do it," he confessed as he shuffled his paws in embarrassment. "I had no idea how hard this was."

"It's not that bad," I argued as I strode forward and let out a sharp bark. My pups looked up and yelped when they saw me. They darted forward and tried to tackle me. Luckily for me they were still young and they didn't know any actually attack moves yet so they barely made me sway. I just pretended that I had been utterly defeated and I rolled on my back, groaning.

"Oh the pups of wrath have beaten me," I gasped as I flopped on my stomach. "How will I ever escape."

Thruster chuckled and I lashed my tail. This was the only way to expel all of their energy. "Don't worry momma," assured Murk as she pressed her paw over my eye. "We won't injure you too badly."

I smiled a bit but felt my stomach churn. "Ha ha. Actually pups you can't hurt me," I confessed as I sat upward and Reed slid down my back.

"What," gasped Avery as his eyes turned confused. "Why?"

"Because I'm er different," I replied as I looked to Thruster who was shaking his head madly in shock. He didn't want me to tell them but now was the perfect opportunity. They had brought it up sort of naturally and I would be fish-brained to not leap on this opportunity.

"Different," echoed Thyme as she tilted her head. "Like different than papa and us?"

I shook my head. "No. Your father is like me as well. We were born with powers."

"Powers," breathed Reed as he reared on his hind legs and pawed at the sky as if he was battering a fake enemy. "Like looking at someone and freezing their mind?!"

I snorted in amusement. "That's more of the Professor, not me." I strode toward Thruster. "Nick my pelt so that they can see."

"Do you really want to do this," whispered Thruster in fear. "I mean are they really ready?"

"They're never going to be ready for this," I pointed out as I licked his cheek. "But it's better we do it early so that they don't resent us for not telling them."

Thruster took in a rattled breath before he extended his claws. He slashed it against my flank and my pups gasped as my flesh ripped. I gasped in pain before it began to heal in front of their eyes. They gasped in utter shock and I wondered if Thyme might faint. I then lifted my paw and extended my super long and sharp claws. "It's in my genetic code to have these powers. Your father and I are a very special breed. We are mutants."