Thank You Logan

I strode into my room and saw all of my pups asleep in their bed. I tilted my head in confusion and sniffed the air. I turned and sat Logan standing at the door, a cigar held between his fingers. Luckily it wasn't lit so I could tell that he had kept his promise.

"Wow," I breathed as I snuck forward, my ears twitching in surprise.

Logan turned his head, his eyes telling me that he was itching to light his cigar. To my relief though he respected my wishes and didn't light it when my pups were around.

"What are you so surprised about," he asked curtly as he raised an eyebrow at me.

I snorted in amusement and strode toward Logan. I sat down beside him and pushed my head against his thigh. "That you watched my pups and they're all still alive."

Logan growled. "I'm not an awful parent," he pointed out as he shrugged a bit. "I mean I am a substitute teacher and no kid has even gotten hurt on my watch."

I looked at him as if I didn't know him. "Last time the Professor put us in charge of the school for a night Stryker came and captured students."

"We've er turned more responsible since then," Logan murmured as he looked at my pups. "I mean you became a mother and I'm a substitute teacher and you're also a teacher. Maybe soon I'll become a real teacher."

I nodded before I looked to my pups and smiled a bit. "Were they good for you? I've been teaching them about manners and how to behave around others but they're still learning."

"They were fine," Logan assured me as he cuffed my ear and I nearly fell sideways. "They're just pups. They just wanted to play and wrestle."

I smiled. "Yes they do. Did they ask you any questions? They have a habit of doing that." I knew I was probably worrying too much but I did know my pups could be very overpowering sometimes to whoever was watching them. Also Logan wasn't used to younger pups or children.

Logan rolled his eyes a bit. "They did have a lot questions but that's alright. Murk had the most questions along with Reed. Avery kept to himself and Thyme wouldn't even look at me, let alone talk to me."

I looked to my daughter who arched her back a bit and whimpered as she pawed at her muzzle. "I'm sorry. Thyme is very shy."

Logan smirked. "She loosened up a bit once I showed them my claws she was very interested. I just had to show her that I wasn't a threat."

"So what type of questions did they ask," I inquired as I raised a paw and drew it over my ear.

"They asked me a lot about what you were like before you had pups. They also asked me about myself which I wasn't used to," he replied as he looked at his cigar before he looked to me. I shook my head sternly and he growled a bit at me but I narrowed my eyes. No smoke was going to be around my pups.

"Murk asked me if I had a family," he murmured darkly and I felt a jolt ripple up my spine.

I looked at him sideways and wondered what to say next. I knew that Logan had a twisted past, one that he could never remember. Murk's question was meant to be innocent but it wasn't. "I'm so sorry Logan. I should have spoken with them before hand not to talk about anyone's pasts but-"

"Starlight," Logan interrupted and I swiveled my head to look at him, wondering how much anger sparkled in his eyes. Surprisingly enough there was no anger in his eyes. I couldn't help but twitch my ears a bit. "I told her that I did have a family. My family is you and everyone else here."

I didn't usually hear Logan speak like this. It surprised me but I was flattered to hear it. I rumbled in thankfulness and touched my nose to his hand. "You're my family too. It's always going to be us. It's companions before family." I blinked the tears from my eyes at I looked at my pups, so peaceful. "Even though if it comes to that it'll be very hard for me to leave them behind."