Stories Turning into Nightmares

I pushed into my den with Thyme still hanging from my jaws. I was about to push into my room when I heard Bobby talking to my pups. I pricked my ears before I set down Thyme between my paws and opened the door a bit so I could get a little bit of a better angle.

I saw Bobby sitting with my pups while they were in their nest. They were all pressed against each other but they had their ears pricked. I raised my own ears so I could hear the conversation.

"Then Rogue and I had to land a jet," explained Bobby with his voice filled in suspense. "We actually saved your mother and your father."

"From what," gasped Reed as his eyes widened in shock. "From Magneto? From Runic?"

I flinched a bit. I didn't tell my pups about Erik or about this thing call Runic. I didn't even know what it was. Fear began to claw at my underbelly and I felt myself want to dart forward. I stopped myself though and I just tried to see what Bobby was going to say next.

Bobby shook his head and urged my pups to settle down. "For once no. We saved them from the dam breaking. Without us they would have died," Bobby replied as he sat back a bit and rested his head on his knees. "However also without another er teacher here named Jean we would all have been killed."

Avery's eyes widened in shock but he soon retaliated. "Then I'm very grateful to Jean for saving my mother and father and everyone else on the jet too!"

"True. Without her you wouldn't be alive," pointed out Bobby.

I suddenly took a step forward and picked up Thyme. I bounded forward and Reed let out a happy yip. "Momma!"

I let out a rumble of amusement as I sat down Thyme into her nest next to her brothers and sister. She didn't stir and I saw Avery rush around her and press against her. He must have known something was off about her but I wasn't about to tell him what.

"Hello pups," I barked warmly as I arched my neck and licked each of my pups between the ears. "Did you have a good time?"

"The best," exclaimed Murk as her tail wagged. "Bobby played with us and told us stories and even created ice with his hands! Can you do that momma?"

I shook my head. "No I can't. Now what do you say to Bobby for playing with you and staying with you?" I looked at my pups sternly, wondering if they remembered their manners that I was trying so desperately to teach them.

"Thank you Bobby," they all coursed as they looked at Bobby with eager eyes.

"When can you come back," asked Reed as his tail wagged and began hitting Avery's head. Avery growled at his brother and Reed inched upward more so that he wouldn't aggravate his brother even more.

"Reed," I scolded as I shoved my ears forward. "I think you've tortured him enough for today, don't you think?"

"I'd love to come back Starlight," assured Bobby as he stood up and stretched a bit. "I mean if you'll let me."

I snorted in amusement. "Of course! Thruster and I could use a little getaway some times and it's obvious that they really like you. I'd be a fool not to let you come back," I chuckled before I looked to my pups. "Now I have to talk to Bobby outside alone for a little bit. Can I trust you three to lay in the nest and try to sleep until I get back?"

I looked harshly down on them and my tail lashed. Murk nodded and curled into a tight ball, her fur brushing Thyme's fur. Avery was already curled into a ball and Thyme was still unconscious from whatever Poultice had done. Reed was the last one but he was looking defiant like he always did with his tail tip lashing and his ears twitching.

"But I'm not tired," he argued as he shook his head. "I just want to play."

I lowered my head and touched my nose to his. "How about I make you a deal? If you lay here until I get back then I may be able to convince the cafeteria to give you an extra helping of meatloaf tomorrow." I know that bribery wasn't the best way to get my son to do something but right now it was my best option.

Reed let out a sigh before he quickly curled into a ball and wrapped his tail around his nose. "Alright I guess."

"Good pup," I praised before I looked to Bobby and threw my muzzle toward the door.

"What do you want to talk about," asked Bobby as he jogged a bit to keep up with me.

I let out a low growl. "Be quiet until we get outside. There's something I need to ask you," I confessed as I pushed my head against the door. I pushed my way up and stood against the wall with Bobby rushing beside me. He kneeled down so that we were eye level.

"Ask away. I have nothing else to do," he confessed as he sat back.

I twitched an ear. "I listened to your story that you told the pups," I sighed as my tail twitched. "I heard you mention Erik...er Magneto. However who is this Runic?"

Bobby turned his head to face me and I felt his fear made my fur prickle. His eyes widened a bit and I knew that he didn't want to answer it. I leaned forward and blinked my eyes in a pleading way. "Please Bobby. I need to know."

Bobby let out a bellowing sigh. "Runic is Tony."