a hole grew in his chest as his room sat still. usually his room was full of her infectious laugh as she melted into his side, cuddling together as 'friends' played in the background.

it was a silence he had grown to hate. silence was never an option when she was around, whether it was blasting music from the laptop speaker or when his fingertips poked at her sides causing laughter to erupt from her mouth uncontrollably.

no matter how hard he tried to push her out of his mind, no matter how hard he shut his eyes, she always found a way in. her laughter filling the darkness of his room, the ray of sunshine lighting the dark just by picturing her melodramatic smile.

he couldn't bare hearing the two broken words repeating in his head, picturing the way her eyes welled with tears as he dragged her out of the garage.

he threw the thin sheets from his waist as he slid into his shoes, throwing a sweater on before grabbing his keys.

his fingertips anxiously tapped against the wheel, squinting at the headlights that shined in his eyes from passing cars. the fluorescent sign of the local business behind kaycee's house igniting nervousness into his system as he pulled into her driveway.

"sean, what are you doing here?" kylie yawned, rubbing her swollen eyes as she closed the door behind her.

"where's kaycee?" he hummed, fidgeting with the letter in his hand.

"she's gone, sean. and i'm not telling you where she went."

"kylie, please. i made a mistake, i didn't mean any of the things i said. please, i need to see her."

"i don't think you realize that you've been doing this for a long time, hurting her. you don't even realize that you're hurting her because you only care about yourself." kylie hissed. "she sits there quietly, listening to you, doing what you say but once she tries to talk to you, you do what you always do. and it hurts, lew. you're her family, family doesn't hurt family."

kylie watched as his jaw locked, his throat tightening as he held back a whimper. "i'm so sorry, kylie."

kylie pressed her hand on his shoulder, as she placed a platonic kiss against his cheek. "you're always going to be family, but tonight was the last straw." she gave his shoulder a squeeze before disappearing inside the house.

sean drove, his lashes flickering tears into his cheeks. he drove in silence, something he wasn't fond of until his eyes landed on something unusual.

he pulled into the parking lot, taking the key out of the ignition before sprinting into the studio. "kaycee?" he whispered, as he walked out into the dark hallway, making his way to the light bleeding in from the studio.

sean felt as if the air had been knocked from his lungs, watching as she gracefully moved to the music.

so much pain and emotion spilt from every movement she excecuted, tears slipping from her eyes as she slid across the glossy floor. it was heartbreaking watching as she broke down on the studio floor, no one there to comfort her and rock her until she was able to catch her breath.

he didn't understand the affect his words had on her, he didn't understand that she came her every night after long practices with him and just cried.

she cried, and yelled until there was no more energy left in her. she was exhausted far more than anyone could see.

it took everything inside of him, as he keeps behind her, pulling her shaking body into his arms. but before she could melt into his warmth, she placed her hand against his chest, backing away slowly as she wiped her tears. "sean, please go away. i don't want to see you right now."

"kaycee, please- sean i said im done!" she cried out, as she fell down to her knees, her body shaking with everyone sob. "i'm tired of being pushed around and being treated like i mean nothing to you! i'm so tired."

"kaycee, im so sorry. " sean cried, slowly taking her face into his hands. "kaycee caitlin rice, you are the most amazing girl i've ever laid eyes on and you don't deserve any of this. i don't deserve you, angel."

sean wrapped his arms around her waist, as she silenced her sobs in the crook of his neck. "i'm so sorry, kayc."

"we're sean and kaycee." he whispered, as she wiped the tear the dribbled down his bottom lip. "we can get through this."

"no. i don't even know who you are anymore. we can't be sean and kaycee if i have no idea who you are, because that's not the sean i've grown to love. my sean, would never treat me like that." she whispered coldly, creating goosebumps to trickle up his skin.

love, a word never used between the both of them. a word that stepped over the blurred lines of their friendship, a word both of them were too scared to say.

"i'm sorry, kaycee." sean whispered, making her turn to look at the boy she thought she knew.

"there is so much pressure on me and it's becoming too much to handle, i can't even sleep at night knowing that so many people look up to me." kaycee took his chin in between her fingertips gently stroking the side of his jaw.

"i'm so sorry, kayc. you don't deserve this." he hummed as wrapped his arms around her, silencing their sobs in the warmth of the other. "i don't want to hurt you anymore."

"im in love with you, sean." she mustered into the crook of his neck. "but not the sean that's holding me in his arms right now, i don't know where the sean i love went but i want him back."

"i want him back too." he said as he gently pulled her chin up to his eyes, glistening like a night full of stars.

her eyes flickered down to his lips, as she pressed her forehead against his, gazing into each other eyes like it was the last time they would.

kaycee rested her hand at the side of his cheek, gently pressing her lips at the edge of his mouth. a sob ripping through her chest as she looked into the boys eyes, hoping to see a glimpse of her best friend, but she didn't. "bring him back." she whispered, placing a kiss against his forehead once last time before slipping from his grasp.

"bring him back." the words echoing through his mind as he watched her walk out of the studio knowing it was the last time he would see her.

he was afraid. afraid to love too hard and hurt the one thing he cared for the most. he was the type to like things concrete, like the ocean. something you could point to and know what is was... and i think that's why he struggled with love. he couldn't touch it. he couldn't hold it and make sure it never changed.

and that's how he knew he had to let her go

because he wasn't the same person she loved, a new type of fear took over him, a type of fear he couldn't prevent.

so he did what he had to.

he walked down to her doorstep, leaving the printed letter against the steps before walking away, leaving the girl he wanted to protect with his entire soul, but only ended up hurting her in the end.

sean watched from across the street, hidden behind her neighbors car as she sat on the steps, ripping the envelope open.

he watched as her body began to shake, the letter falling from her hands as her head fell into her hands.

it broke him watching as her mother ran from inside, taking her youngest daughter in her arms, softly caressing her face as the young girl gasped for air.

he fell against the car, his hand silencing a sob as the tears fell from his eyes like a broken faucet.

he knew she would forgive him, he knew she would run back to him like she always did.

but he knew it would be easier if she had just let him go, instead of holding onto the thing that continuously brought her pain.

so he did what she wouldn't do.

he cut the ropes.