Chapter 12

"Are you sure about this?" Kai whispered to me. I shot him a look.

"Do not jump in. I've got this," I warned him. Tao smirked at me as he crouched.

"Let's go, princess," Tao taunted. Kai growled lowly before he sighed, shaking it off.

"Fight fair. No kill shots, just mock them. Five minute rounds... begin," Kai explained. I smirked at Kai before I pulled off my shirt, leaving me in my sports bra and shorts. The crowd gave wolf whistles as Tao gulped. He slowly approached me. I could tell he was holding back and that pissed me off. I launched at him and flipped him on to his back before jumping away from him.

"Don't give me that half-assed crap. Fight me," I growled. Tao got to his feet. I could tell he was angry.

Good.

I had him right where I wanted him. He came at me again, only harder. I dodged his advances easily. I slapped his face gently every now and then just to piss him off. After a few minutes, Tao was livid and tired. His moves were getting sloppy. I, however, was still light on my feet, quick, and agile.

Tao's frustrated growls were getting louder by the second. This time when he advanced, I let him catch me, but not fully. He caught me by the waist. I got my hands on the ground and flipped him over me. With my legs still around his waist, I got him in a simple head lock. He was stuck.

"I'm calling it. Stella," Kai said. I let go of Tao and stood. The crowd was completely silent as they looked at me. I sighed and relaxed. There was a deep growl before I was taken from behind. The wind was knocked out of me, but I already had a plan. Before I could carry out my plan, a large black wolf knocked Tao's wolf off of me and growled loudly in warning. Looking over, I saw Kai. I growled and frustration.

"What did I say?" I yelled at Kai as I spun to face him. "Back up... now," I growled at him. A disgruntled growl ran through the crowd at my disrespect, including Tao. Reluctantly, Kai backed away. I glared at Tao's wolf but made sure to keep a calm head. I couldn't let anger cloud my mind. This time, I attacked Tao. He snapped at my ankles, but I got onto his back and got my arms around his neck quickly. I pulled back hard and knocked us both onto the ground. I squeezed on his arteries until I felt his body go limp. After a moment, he changed back into human form. He was sleeping as I stood with a sigh. Kai had long since changed back to his human form and put on a pair of shorts. Kai glared at me with a small pout as he looked me over.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly. I glared at him.

"I told you not to interfere," I growled at him. He rolled his eyes with a scoff. He turned his attention back to the waiting crowd.

"Carry on with your training," Kai addressed them before turning back to me with a sigh.

"I called it and Tao continued. He was out of line," Kai defended himself.

"I can handle myself," I argued, crossing my arms over my chest. Kai sighed in frustration before he tossed my shirt to me.

"Put a shirt on," he muttered. I pulled it over my head before we sat next to Tao's sleeping body. "I know on some level you can handle yourself, but that doesn't mean that I want to watch you get hurt," Kai explained. Tao shot up with a gasp as he woke up.

"What the hell happened?" Tao asked as he held his head. I smirked at him.

"You got choked out by a girl," I teased him. He growled.

"Bitch," Tao said towards me. It wasn't the first time I'd been called one and I doubted it would be the last. 'Bitch' had become my badge of honor.

"Tao, you will respect my mate, got it?" Kai growled as he snapped. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I thought we had an understanding?" I said to Kai as I leaned back on my hands.

"Did you really think I was going to let that one slide without saying anything?" He asked.

"I told you that I-"

"Wait! Back up. You're Alpha Kai's mate?" Tao asked, shocked. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Say it louder, why don't you?" I muttered. Kai cringed before masking his emotions.

"Kennedy, I'm taking you home," Kai said shortly.

"What did I say about my name? One more time and I'll choke you out too," I asked rhetorically. Tao chuckled.

"Got a feisty one on your hands, Alpha," Tao raises an eyebrow at him. Kai sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"You have no idea," Kai replied. Tao turned his attention back to me.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" Tao asked. I stood with a sigh and pulled on my light jacket.

"I'm an Alpha, so I learned. It was part of my training," I answered honestly.

"You mean, you're from an Alpha Family?" Tao asked confused. I shook my head. Why was it so hard for him to understand what I said?

"Well, yes, but she meant what she said. Stella was next in line as the Alpha of the Rigor Moon Pack. Alpha Phillips attacked when he found out. He wants to kill her, so natural she's staying with me until this all gets... sorted," Kai explained. I don't know why he explained, I could speak for myself.

"You can't tell anyone we're mates. She doesn't want anyone to know," Kai said, sparing a glance at me.

"Why not?" Tao asked.

"Ask her," Kai shrugged. I rolled my eyes at both of them.

"It's impossible to be a Luna and Alpha. I need to go back and help rebuild my pack. Plus, my pack is too far to even consider a merger. My pack comes first, and as soon as the danger passes, I'm going back," I tried to explain. I knew it wasn't ideal, but it was an Alpha's duty.

"That's... admirable thinking, but highly unrealistic. You have a mate. Are you naive or just stupid?" Tao asked. Kai growled lowly.

"Tao, mind your words," Kai warned tiredly even though I knew he was probably in agreement with Tao. I sighed.

"I wouldn't expect you to understand," I said my parting words before I went to run laps by myself. Training eventually ended, but I continued to run. I ran until my legs had gone completely numb, well past noon. It was almost two in the afternoon when Kai approached me with a bottle of water.

"You're going to make yourself sick if you keep going like this," he said worried. I took his offering and sipped on the water. I didn't feel like talking anymore. Kai sighed as he looked at the sky briefly.

"Ready to head back?" He asked. I walked towards the Jeep silently and took my place in the passenger seat.