Chapter seven

I usually woke up to sunlight hitting my eyes or Rosie screaming at me to wake up. Sometimes Johann would be as ass and would hold my nose until I shot up for breath.

What I wasn't use to was my left cheek stinging suddenly. "Hey, get up." My eyes shot open and I immediately saw Vanessa standing at the side of the bed, her arms crossed.

"Hey," I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I took in her attire. She was dressed in a cut off T-shirt, black athletic tights, and a duffle bag accompanied her right shoulder. "Are you uh, you okay? Need an Advil or something-"

"I'm good. I just came back from my kickboxing class." She looked impatient as I sat there, looking at her. "Sorry for calling you, you can go now."

Shaking my head when she started walking away, I followed after her. "That's it? After last night-"

She spun around suddenly and pointed at me sternly. "Pretend last night never happened. Got it?"

Three years ago me might've agreed. Three years ago me was a little pussy shit who went for anything. Not anymore.

"No." Her eyes widened slightly. "I'm not going to sit here and say last night wasn't the best night of my life in three years. Holding you, kissing you... telling you I love you is what I've been wanting since I left. I can't just pretend it never happened."

Her eyes wavered as she looked away. "Well you're going to have to because it didn't mean a thing."

I scoffed. "I'm sorry, I can't believe that-"

"You know what I can't believe?" The vein in her neck started to bulge as she stepped forward. "I can't believe you left your family. I can't believe you took in another whole ass kid! I cant believe you expect me to forgive you!"

"Can you just hear me out?" I questioned, trying to keep my voice low as she started to raise hers. I knew fighting fire with fire wouldn't help anything but it was only so long before my temper decided to join the conversation. "Listen just-"

"No!" I took in a deep breath when she jabbed her finger into my chest. "I don't care why you did it, I only care that you want to come back and act like it's all fine. If you really love me you'd leave it alone."

I tilted my head slightly. "Love me for a night, hate me the next day. This what you're gonna do?" She looked away. "Are you gonna call me every time you get drunk and need me to tuck you into bed? Make you feel loved-"

"I don't need you for that!" She dropped her bag to her feet, glaring at me with everything she had. "Last night.." she hesitated before spitting it out. "I was bored and wanted a body to lay with. I knew you would come running."

I took a step back away with my eyebrows furrowed. "You don't mean that..."

My chest started to tighten as her eyes darkened, void of any emotion. She was nothing like how she was last night. Nothing like how she was ever.

As she looked at me with her cold eyes, it was as if I was staring back at a stranger. Then she spoke. "Does it look like I don't mean it?" She didn't. I couldn't tell if this was her being defensive or building a wall but I believed it. I mean, who knows. I changed a lot in three years... maybe she did too. As if she didn't hurt me enough, she turned around to the front door and pulled it open, muttering, "I don't love you back."

I kept my chin up as I nodded. "Okay." Sniffing, I started out. "I can still see the twins?"

She nodded softly. "I'll have Vivian bring them over to you from now on." Then, the door closed.