I decided to go with the PG version of my thoughts. "I was just thinking about how surprised I've been by the last few weeks."

"What do you mean?"

"Just, they've been nice."

"Only nice?" he teased, running his hand through his hair to try and tame the flyaways our struggle had created. The effort resulted in hair sticking up every which away.

"There have been some really nice things."

"Don't worry. There's going to be a lot of nice moments in our future. Yer party is in three days, and after that, yer gonna be free."

And so will you. I turned my face back to the sea so he couldn't read the truth in my expression.

"Kieran, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," he said, twisting the hand he was holding so he could place a kiss on the back of it. God, I loved when he did that. Sweet. Innocent. It made me want to jump him.

"Are you... I mean, have you," I stumbled through the words, surprised it was so hard to ask, "have you ever been with anyone? Sexually?"

Gales of laughter reached our ears, and Kieran turned the same shade as a boiled lobster. Damn the Merrow and their sensitive hearing.

"Go on, Kieran," Niko shouted. She was lounging on her back, her purple tail spraying water as she slapped it on the surface. "Tara and I actually have a bet, and I would love to collect my money."

"Niko! You weren't supposed to say anything." Even from this far away, I could see the flush spread across Tara's face before she disappeared below the waves.

"You don't have to answer that here," I whispered. "I'm so sorry. I forgot they could hear."

"Not fair! No whispering," Niko fussed.

"It's fine," he grunted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I haven't. Been with anyone that is. There was one time. It was close, but well, I had to ask like ten times for him to slow down. Figured if he couldn't get something like that right, he certainly couldn't get the rest of it right."

I had his attention now, and anger replaced the embarrassment shining in his eyes. "Did he hurt you?"

"No. He stopped. Eventually. I broke things off after that."

Kieran relaxed like a balloon deflated. "Good. I'd hate to make a deal with the devil to be able to swim across the world to beat the crap out of him."

I rolled my eyes even as his words warmed me inside. I really thought he might sell out to Lorelei if it meant keeping me safe.

"So," I said, drawing out the o.

"So, um," he began, leaning in close and lowering his voice so I just barely caught the single word, "no."

"I hate you both," Niko shouted before joining Tara underwater.

"Really?"

"Why does that surprise you?"

"I don't know. Guys always talk a big game, and when I got here, I was warned by everyone that I was going to be enemy number one if I tried to get with you. Apparently, you had some admirers."

The smirk I equal parts loved and hated blossomed on his lips. Smugness radiated from his pores. "I am quite the catch."

"I see now."

"What?"

"There's not enough room for you and your ego in the bedroom."

"I assure you, we could make it work," he said, winking at me even as he blushed. "But to tell you the truth. There's never been a girl who caught my attention enough to complicate things that way. Before you, I'd only ever kissed one girl- Jenny."

"Jenny. Why does that name seem so familiar?"

"Ewan's sister."

"Oh, wow."

"Yeah, we were pretty close for awhile, but after things with her brother, I couldn't handle being over there. Lorna was a good friend of mine, and Jenny started calling her all sorts of names. I can't say I blame her for taking her brother's side, but I wasn't going to put up with it. Haven't dated another girl until you."

"You know, I think this is the most normal conversation we've ever had," I mused, snuggling into his side in an attempt to get warm. The bright sunshine was being devoured by incoming clouds, and I hoped hot chocolate and a roaring fire was in our future.

"I'd go with the most awkward," he replied.

"More awkward than tell me everyone around here has tails."

"Definitely more awkward. Can I ask you a question now?" he asked while working his hands through the tangles in my hair. The gentle tugs on my scalp made me sleepy, and I had to fight back the moan I knew Tara and Niko would misinterpret if they heard.

"Mmhmm."

"What made you ask that now?"

Shifting in his arms, I looked up at him. Be bold. "I want you to be my first."

The look he gave me set my blood ablaze, and if we were alone, I might've gone for home plate then and there. He caught my mouth in a lingering kiss. It was slow and simple. But its effects reached deeper than any of our other kisses. Stirring something in my soul.

"I want you to be my last," he whispered.

Don't cry. Don't cry. I repeated the words over and over again as I threw my arms around his neck and went back for another kiss. This one tasted of desperation, and I was afraid it would give away my plans, but I couldn't stop.

"Soon," I begged, "maybe my birthday?"

"We don't have to rush," he insisted, breaking away and dragging air into his lungs. "I'd rather not do something just because we're scared."

"But I'm not scared. I know I want you."

"And I want you, but I'm not going to make that choice because we're being pushed into a corner. It shouldn't have a timeline. When we take that step, it's going to because we're ready. Okay?"

He accepted my short nod, and I buried my face into his chest to stop myself from bursting into hysterics. After all, he was right. It would be better this way in the long run. My ghost wouldn't haunt that moment for him. It would be clean and unsullied for a woman who would be able to walk-and swim- every mile with him.

And as badly as I wished for it, that woman wasn't going to be me.